Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #1

Film advance (end) but shutter button won't fire

Hi Friends,

First of all let me tell you that I am beginner in film cameras and bought a second hand Pentax ME Super. The camera is in good condition, looks like new, I don't see any damage. The two batteries are new.

Problem:

I put the film in, and tried to follow manual instructions. Everything seems well but ....

I have almost always to move twice forward with the film (advanced the lever) for the shutter button to fire. The film advance (I see the number increasing on indicator - film counter) but the shutter not always fire ... only if I advance one more. (first picture fire, 2 not fire (I push down the shutter button, nothing happens.), 3 picture fire, 4 not fire... and so on. Normally not fire two successive.) Is like that the film advance lever wasn't actuated completely...

If the camera has no film, everything works just fine. I don't see any kind of damage inside.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Any tip ?

Thanks

07-24-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does sound as if the film is not advancing properly. I would suggest you sacrifice an old film which you can wind through with the film door open, so you can "see" what's happening.
07-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should only need a single 135 degree rotation of the film advance level to wind the film on to the next frame. As Mark suggests try loading a film with the back open and see what is happening when you use the film advance lever. Maybe you are not winding it all the way each time.

Regards

Chris
07-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a commmon problem in the MESuper
The fix is not very complicated you can find it here:
Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems