Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA35 and DA50 on the MZ-S

Browsing through this forum has given me an urge to shoot some 35mm film again with my MZ-S.

I already have a DA40 2.8 Limited which is ok for film but I don't always carry it. It usually sits on my spare K-x body. So what about the DA35 and DA50? Do they cover the full 35mm frame or are they APS-c only?

I have loads of outdated film and it would be fun to shoot film again. There is a certain visceral quality to it than digital just can't attain and the MZ-S is a jewel that just begs to be used.

07-30-2014, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both lenses should work just fine as far as frame coverage is concerned. Note that you won't be able to use Av or M mode, however: only P or Tv, since there is no aperture ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2014, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

The thread with full frame test shots was already linked above, that should give you a good idea.
Just keep in mind that different film bodies have different automation. Some older cameras need an aperture ring, others don't. So you might want to look for one that lets you use your lenses fully.
And yes, its too bad that most DA lenses are without aperture ring. On the other hand, on lenses like the DA 40mm, this means the lens can be made really really compact.

07-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Just keep in mind that different film bodies have different automation.
Na...the title for this thread says it all. The OP has a MZ-S and is already using at least one DA-series lens. The OP's question was in regards to image circle.

Steve
07-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the information fellas. It looks like the DA35 2.4 AL is quite ok with the MZ-S. I'll have to give the DA50 a tryout and post the results for an update.

I can start carrying my MZ-S again without the weight of extra lenses to go with it. I might just pop the SMC-A 50 f1/.4 for some really low light stuff.
07-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a MZ7 simply for the reason that my MZ5n does not control the aperature of the lenses. I do use the DA35 2.4 regularly on the MZ7 for the little bit that I still use my 35mm gear.

07-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Thanks for the information fellas. It looks like the DA35 2.4 AL is quite ok with the MZ-S. I'll have to give the DA50 a tryout and post the results for an update.
Both should be fine.

Supposedly the DA35 is a reworking of the FA35 f2.0 and the DA50 of the FA50 f1.7.
07-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Na...the title for this thread says it all. The OP has a MZ-S and is already using at least one DA-series lens. The OP's question was in regards to image circle.
Yes. But there are also other relevant factors that I thought I should point out. People other than the OP will be reading this thread and might find this info relevant in the future. Redundancy increases reliability and all that