Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Is there a half case for the Super Program

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just wondering if Pentax ever made half cases for the Super Program.. And I also noticed there is one for the ME/ME Super. The dimensions of the ME seems pretty close to the Super Program. If I get the ME case, would it fit the Super Program?

08-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The soft Eveready case for the Super A/Super Program came it two sections. The bottom part was left on the camera at all times, except when changing film.

The cases for the Super Program and ME look different in my catalog, they may be close in size but it’s hard to tell in the book.

Phil.
08-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As was stated the half case is actually the bottom half of the factory soft case.
The Super Program soft case is actually fairly common and easier to find as cases go especially since it was a newer and widely produced camera body.
You can actually stuff an MX into one (a much harder camera to find the soft case for) and still have it hook correctly over the strap lugs though an MX is the tiniest bit too large for it.
Here is an example though this one costs as much as the damn camera does on there (like new though):
Pentax Superprogram Case and Strap | eBay

If you don't mind age cracked vinyl on the top half they are available cheaply used depending on shipping. They tend to age somewhat poorly so finding older ones in decent shape is more of a challenge than newer ones.
08-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
They tend to age somewhat poorly so finding older ones in decent shape is more of a challenge than newer ones.
I have a Super Program case that I bought as NOS (new old stock) a few years ago. It almost immediately started to fall apart. I leave it on the camera, but I expect that eventually I will have to find a different solution. That is a real shame since it is only with the case on that the camera feels right in my huge hands.

Steve

08-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem seems to be that the vinyl has dried out (technically its the plasticizer that escapes I am told) on all of them even new old stock and so even a perfect one will start to crack to bits right away as soon as you start using it and it gets flexed around.
The bottom halves usually last much better than the top because the top is flexible and the bottom is really rigid so the vinyl doesn't get flexed much.
In all of them I have seen the core will stay solid and still work as a soft case but it will look terrible as it cracks all over and eventually starts to lose thin bits of black vinyl. Someone on here had actually fully stripped the vinyl off which leaves the exterior a fluffy white.
There are apparently ways to resoften vinyl since its basically just a type of rubber and certain chemicals will soak in and almost sorta melt it soft again. I don't know enough about that.

I have 2 of the things that are beyond the point where its worth softening them, I was considering stripping one and painting on a rubber coating kinda what is on the rubber dipped garden gloves. It would make the exterior totally waterproof.
I just never bothered because they only fit with lenses the same size as the 50mm attached so I never had a use for it and just carried the whole camera bag along everywhere.
08-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

so even a perfect one will start to crack to bits right away as soon as you start using it and it gets flexed around.
Yep, gets gummy too.

Steve
08-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I imagine one of those would make a nice pattern for a saddler.

09-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sold such a camera and case awhile ago. The case looked whole and fine.

Pentax Super-A with 50mm-imgp9938.jpg
09-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

]
The problem seems to be that the vinyl has dried out (technically its the plasticizer that escapes I am told) on all of them even new old stock and so even a perfect one will start to crack to bits right away as soon as you start using it and it gets flexed around.
The bottom halves usually last much better than the top because the top is flexible and the bottom is really rigid so the vinyl doesn't get flexed much.
In all of them I have seen the core will stay solid and still work as a soft case but it will look terrible as it cracks all over and eventually starts to lose thin bits of black vinyl. Someone on here had actually fully stripped the vinyl off which leaves the exterior a fluffy white.
There are apparently ways to resoften vinyl since its basically just a type of rubber and certain chemicals will soak in and almost sorta melt it soft again. I don't know enough about that.

I have 2 of the things that are beyond the point where its worth softening them, I was considering stripping one and painting on a rubber coating kinda what is on the rubber dipped garden gloves. It would make the exterior totally waterproof.
I just never bothered because they only fit with lenses the same size as the 50mm attached so I never had a use for it and just carried the whole camera bag along everywhere.
I have done two MX cases. This was the first; the second came out far more evenly and looks and feels good. The flaking surface can get into parts of the camera and cause problems, so it made sense to me to scrape it off. The case is still in excellent shape otherwise.
10-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

I bought a Spotmatic that happened to come with a complete soft eveready case that is made out of leather. It is in very good shape and will last far longer than any vinyl version. I wish I could find another for my ME Super. I too bought a NOS vinyl case for the Super and it started cracking immediately. I learned my lesson.