Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Travels with Pentax MX and the Graflex Century 23

My travels are usually work related so I often take the old Pentax ist ds with the Vivitar CFWA 28mm f/2.0 to chronicle the day jobs.
Over past 10 years or so, have been taking a Ricoh KR-5 or a Pentax MX along with the dslr, selecting various lenses from my collection of Pentax -M and Ricoh K lenses.
The lens I traveled with most over past 15 years was the small Ricoh P35~70mm f/3.4~4.5
I have 2 of these lenses but last year in Chile the 2nd failed (glue failure) so I have a winter job trying to restore one out of two.
I always found that focal length 35mm is not quite wide enough for a travel zoom on 35mm and was never able to find the wider Ricoh P24~40mm f/2.8.

This trip to Australia had no jobs so I took no digital camera, taking:
Pentax MX
SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24mm
SMC Pentax 1:2 55mm
(Both of these are old -K lenses)
Pentax S80-80 lens bag for the off lens
Hoya [1B]
Ricoh metal hood
Pentax lens cap which works inside the hood.

Graflex 23 with one RH10 Roll film back (All Graflex equipment is from 1953 or about)
Graftar f/4.5 103mm lens in the Century Synchromatic (press) shutter.
Kalart side mounted range finder Graflex Viewfinder with the correct frame for the lens.

Fuji 120 film was hard to find so the 120 film was:
Kodak Ektar 100
Kodak Portra 160

Fuji Superia 200 for 35mm

Pack:
From Etsy, a vintage canvas ex mil back pack with low weight and folds into small space to fit into carry on bag.
The Pentax and Graflex equipment fits inside and is comfortable on the back pack.

Experiences:
I did quite a lot of miles walking in rural areas Albury and Cessnock, city areas Newcastle and Sydney.

Walking around with the Pentax MX (compared to a zoom lens) with the 24 and 55mm lenses required frequent lens changes which, for me, entails sitting down on a bench to get the lens out of the bag and change it. There is a risk the vintage lenses will be dropped.

Similarly, with the baby Graflex hand held, it is a bit of a chore to wriggle it out of the back pack, open it, pull the rather recalcitrant standard to the infinity stops, re-set tilt and rise, check f/ and shutter, and frame a photo. Not to forget to wind a frame. Then pack it up and walk on.
I set the baby Graflex up like this on a ferry in Sydney Harbour with a bit of a rolling swell, and it was quite difficult.

I enjoyed the experience with the old cameras , on days of free time when not seeing friends, to do sight seeing and take photos.
I will appreciate comments from any others crazy enough to travel with the old film Pentax and medium format cameras ---

09-24-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

I can't speak to medium format, but I always have a plastic K-1000 and a 50 1.7 in the bag when I travel. If I'm serious, there are a couple of MXs or the mighty Black KX, but the Plastique is always plan B for the DSLRs. If I can't come up with something inspiring for the DSLRs, I break out the film camera and really look and think about the one shot I should take. It makes for a nice reset button.
09-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This summer i went to Cyprus with only MX with me. Sold my K5IIs not long before the trip. Was really on edge about missing shots but in the end i've got a whole bunch of nice photographs. My new K-3 is on the way but i got really inspired to shoot some film again. So MX is not going anywhere. Plus it's small and compact which is a plus.
09-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guys.. not like I want to complain .. but no pictures ..?

09-25-2014, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Guys.. not like I want to complain .. but no pictures ..?
there you go. xposted from my thread.

some of the promised shots.
hope you guys like it.
the combo i had with me was the pentax mx + 43 + 77 + vivitar 28 close focus + kodak color plus 200.

09-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
there you go. xposted from my thread. some of the promised shots. hope you guys like it. the combo i had with me was the pentax mx + 43 + 77 + vivitar 28 close focus + kodak color plus 200.
Amazing series!! Some stunning photos of amazing locations and very beautiful, sensual model

Congratulations !!
09-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Amazing series!! Some stunning photos of amazing locations and very beautiful, sensual model

Congratulations !!
Cheers for the comment!!!
That model is my beautiful wife)))

09-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
That model is my beautiful wife)))
She certainly is !
09-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent photos, and even more excellent to travel with the Graflex! Due to the unfolding process, I usually end up carrying mine in hand once opened... and much to my shame I developed Graflex Elbow once
10-01-2014, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is fuly in-line with my thinking of late. My last very long trip (1.5 years away) I had in tow my K-7 with a single 50mm 1.4 and a Ricoh GRDIII. It was a great combination. The next go around I will be taking one of the MXs with a 50 and (i can't decide) either the Ricoh GR, or GR1s. I don't want to worry about more things that need batteries to be charged frequently and extra storage for the many digital photos I'll rarely look at or take time to weed through. Film can still be had anywhere and comes in a water tight container. The good slow-down it offers is ideal as well and the total weight of the kit I'm considering is quite a bit less than the original bare-bones one I took before. I'm looking forward to it...
10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
IHS

Wow Snake, I'm green eyed...Great shots of great subjects! Thanks for sharing.
10-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only travel with film cameras. Short trips with the car I take a 6x7 kit, longer trips by air I take two 35mm bodies. I haven’t taken a mixed format kit on a trip yet.

Just came back from three weeks in London & South Africa and took this kit:

K2
K2DMD
M24-50/4
K50/1.4
A70-210/4

I shot a mixture of colour and b&w slide film, alternating between the two film bodies.

Phil.
06-12-2015, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

just to bring this thread back to life a bit.i have got another shot from the same batch from cyprus. i have actually been waiting to develop this film more than others due to this particular shot.
hope you like it.

06-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

When I went around the world in 2013 I took the LX and the MX, the K17 fisheye, the M20/4, I guess one of my 28mms, possibly the K28/3.5, the K50/1.2. the M80/2 and the K135/2.5. I don't think I took anything longer than the 135mm. I also took an Agfa Isolette II for medium format. Oh, and a tripod. I guess I don't travel light.

Arcade par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

UWA arcade par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Wedding photographer par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Unfortunately, Flickr did its awful upgrade just after I got back and I swapped to Ipernity, and in the process didn't process / upload as many pictures as I ought to. I must do that at some point!

K.
06-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Unfortunately, Flickr did its awful upgrade just after I got back and I swapped to Ipernity, and in the process didn't process / upload as many pictures as I ought to. I must do that at some point!
I've tried to like Ipernity - have had my account there for a long while now and even sync between the two when I remember... But it's always crickets over there (e.g. silence) and honestly, I just love Flickr, even as they change and change... I still dig the site and just keep rolling with it.
And yeah, you definitely don't travel light! But awesome shots!