Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you support Film Ferrania?
Yes, I've already signed! 2354.76%
I'll do it sooner or later! 1023.81%
interested, but no (too expensive/wrong type of film/...) 716.67%
not interested 24.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I've never had a darkroom or a light table or a photo loupe,
Let me assure you -- you're missing out. I develop all my own black and white at home and it's so much more fun than digital that I only use digital when I have a specific goal in mind and don't have time to develop and digitize the film. If you want to see what it's about, get a medium-format camera from a friend and a roll of Fuji Velvia 120. Hold the slides up to the light and you will see that it's different.

Can digital take photos faster with a faster conversion to online? Sure. Slides are slower but they have nicer colors, better dynamic range than digital, and a look that's hard to describe. But, when you hold that slide in your hands and look through a window at the way daylight illuminates the colors, you'll probably get it. And yeah, even just holding an image that you took in your hands is an experience. If you've only ever shot digital, you've never held one of your photos. You've held prints. You've held an SD card with digital instructions. Digital photos can't be held because they don't exist. That, I think, is the biggest difference.

11-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
medium format ones look stunning
...and 4x5...dang...*

Steve

* It should since each exposure represent about $8.00 USD for film and processing
11-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the kind of talk that I have trouble getting my head around. I've never had a darkroom or a light table or a photo loupe, nor do I picture myself getting access to those any time soon. Assuming I did actually shoot some slide film and put it on a light table and was then greatly impressed by its jewel-like beauty. . . Then what would happen 20 minutes later after the novelty wore off? It's not like I'd be showing it to anyone else in that form. Then I would be back to scanning into Aperture and posting the images online, or, in a few special cases, getting large prints made.
I think photography used to be very narrowly defined in the past, especially in a technical sense. There was a prescribed methodology for taking pictures, developing the film, and making prints. Over time photographers began to infuse some artistic flare into their work. Most of the effort was put into the subject matter, lighting, etc while the technical methodology remained relatively static. Eventually people began playing with the technical side of photography too. Pushing/pulling film, filters on enlargers, dodging and burning, etc. When color films became available photography's definition expanded further. Now with digital technology in our hands I feel like the doors of photography have been blown wide open. "Prints" vs. "photographs", "film" vs. "sensor", etc. Photography is now as creative as it is technical - if not more. There are so many tools available to us! We pick the ones that make sense to us for whatever reason they do. Perhaps the reasons are historical. Perhaps they are technical. Perhaps they are emotional.

I love shooting film and scanning it with K-30 and a macro lens. It sounds foolish in many ways. Someone could rightfully ask me why I don't just take the pictures with my K-30 start with. I could explain that I am trying to achieve the "film look" and that I'm not satisfied with the digital based simulations. That would be partly true but the biggest reason is that I just love working with film. The tactile process of manipulating the film is just as exciting to me as taking the picture to begin with and finalizing it on my screen. I also love creating the positive image from the negative and working through all the variables like color inversion, white balance, tint, etc. All of it is a creative expression and it exercises my soul. The process asks me to examine how I see the world around me.

As an artistic outlet, you should follow your heart and your passions when it comes to the exact medium. Just like some artists work in oils, pastels, and/or watercolors some photographers work in negative film, reversal film, and/or digital. It's all a matter of taste and style. There is no right or wrong. Just enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy.
11-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the kind of talk that I have trouble getting my head around. I've never had a darkroom or a light table or a photo loupe, nor do I picture myself getting access to those any time soon. Assuming I did actually shoot some slide film and put it on a light table and was then greatly impressed by its jewel-like beauty. . . Then what would happen 20 minutes later after the novelty wore off? It's not like I'd be showing it to anyone else in that form. Then I would be back to scanning into Aperture and posting the images online, or, in a few special cases, getting large prints made.
Those thoughts pretty much mirrored mine. I did almost all my 35mm shooting using Kodachrome back when I was young, and I still have a Leica projector for viewing them, but I can't picture myself viewing them on a light table except for maybe when i first go through them.

Last edited by qblade; 11-04-2014 at 06:24 PM.
11-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a light box medium format transparencies will really knock your socks off.
For 35mm slides you really need a loupe magnifier, which lessens the impact.

If you've never shot slides with your 35mm camera and seen them projected
I encourage you to try it sometime. You don't know what you're missing!

Chris
11-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ferrania has a web link for film shooters to enter their favorite processing lab that does E6. Good idea, so please submit your local lab.

Ferrania Web link "Your Favorite Lab"

Everybody knows that color reversal film lovers have taken a serious punch to the gut over the last few years.
Fewer options leading to higher costs leading to decreased use and even fewer options... With this situation seemingly out of control, it is understandable that the number of labs able to offer E-6 processing has also dwindled.

We at FILM Ferrania aim to stop this death spiral in its tracks - and we need to join with labs out there who share our mission.

We want you to help us make a giant list of all of our favorite labs who still accept E-6 film.

•If you have a favorite lab you'd like to recommend to others, please use the form on the right to send us as much information as you can.
•If you happen to know someone from a lab, you can email them a link to this page.
•If you ARE a lab, please fill in all the details so that we can make our list into a comprehensive and valuable resource for the entire analog community.
•If any of the data changes (new location, moved, closed, etc), fill in the lab name and the appropriate new data.
We will publish this list next week, and keep it maintained and updated on an ongoing basis.

Thank You!
11-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting...due to the lab situation in Italy it would be good if they could start a mailing lab service like Ilford.