Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Show me the error of my ways.

I have a roll of tri-x 400 that has three frames with this interesting streaking in the emulsion. It was developed at the 1 Hour Hi-Jacked Kitchen lab with DD-X. Normally, I would call this a swing and a miss (it's a crappy shot anyway), but only three frames show this issue. I did my best PP to make the problem as obvious as possible. I have soaked and washed and dried these frames two more times. No change. I'm not really interested in recovering these shots, but I would like to know what causes this. I would hate to miss a keeper do to operator error.

I forgot the Pentax content. MX, SMC 50 1.4 and the Pentax strap that came with my K-3.

Attached Images

Last edited by Dukeatoakland; 11-01-2014 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Forgot-
11-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The only thing I can think of is that the film wasn't loaded on the reel perfectly and the emulsion side was touching the non-emulsion side in some places.

On second thoughts though.... although the streaks are not dead straight, they seem equally spaced at the top. Do the start of the steaks match up with the sprocket holes?
11-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The three frames show slightly different patterns. One is more vermiculated than striped. This was the worst one, so I use it as the example. The streaks don't line up with the sprocket holes in any obvious way. Having said that, it is a 35mm frame, so a good lawyer might argue otherwise.

If I were to load the spool improperly, could I potentially trap developer?
11-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dukeatoakland Quote
If I were to load the spool improperly, could I potentially trap developer?
Yes. The developer which is in contact with the emulsion becomes exhausted which is why you agitate every so often, If the emulsion was touching another part of the film, those contact points would be underdeveloped.

11-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there any chance poor agitation technique could cause this?
11-01-2014, 03:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Are the bad images sequential or staggered on the roll? I as well think the fault is underdevelopment, most likely caused by a poorly
wound spool. Have you shown the negative to the lab?
11-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there any chance poor agitation technique could cause this?
It looks like you used Poor agitation during the stop bath/fixing phases. Mineralised water can sometimes leave residue when you don't squeegee the film after washing it properly, this is why for the wash phases I prefer to use de-mineralised water for greater clarity in my images.

11-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The three bad frames are 18, 19 and 20 of 36. The "lab" has seen them. The "lab" looks suspiciously like me (and is currently wearing my pants).

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 03:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It looks like you used Poor agitation during the stop bath/fixing phases. Mineralised water can sometimes leave residue when you don't squeegee the film after washing it properly, this is why for the wash phases I prefer to use de-mineralised water for greater clarity in my images.

I use distilled water for everything but the long rinse at the end. Is this a mistake?

When you say "Poor" agitation, are you suggesting I am over or under working the film? I generally get good results. When I get off results, I am suspicious of my technique - but I can never put my finger on it.
11-01-2014, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think is a problem of the dev process, because (for what I can see, and maybe the problem is my screen), lines are only in the highlights of the image. Are there also lines on the dark part of the picture?

Another point: in the rinse part, do you use normal soap? do you also rinse with flowing water?
11-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lines do make it to the shadows, but they were hard to bring out in PP. If you hold the negative at just the right angle to the loupe, you can see them continue weakly into the trees.

I use a Photo-Flo 200 bath after an eight minute flowing water rinse. The flowing rinse is from the tap. Everything else is distilled.

Last edited by Dukeatoakland; 11-01-2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spelling
11-01-2014, 04:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh ok, thank you for the additional info. So I agree with Digitalis, it could be a problem of the fixing bath. Did you also wash with water between the development and the fixing? Maybe some developing chemical was on the film when you poured the fixing bath inside the tank..
11-01-2014, 04:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The lines do make it to the shadows, but they were hard to bring out in PP. If you hold the negative at just the right angle to the loupe, you can see them continue weakly into the trees.

I use a Photo-Flo 200 bath after an eight minute flowing water rinse. The flowing rinse is from the tap. Everything else is distilled.
I can see the lines going into the shadow area in your print. I really don't think its a rinse issue or even a stop or fix issue. I still think it was a problem loading on the reel. Do you use plastic or steel reels?
11-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do a distilled water stop bath between developing and fixing.

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 04:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I can see the lines going into the shadow area in your print. I really don't think its a rinse issue or even a stop or fix issue. I still think it was a problem loading on the reel. Do you use plastic or steel reels?
I use a steel reel. I have botched the loading before. However, it wasn't subtle. It was a pull the roll off and do it again level botching.
11-01-2014, 04:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Is it possible there was an issue with the paper? Did you try developing them again?
11-01-2014, 04:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I was thinking about it too, but in this case, shouldn't be affected all the frames on that side? I mean, the problem should be on the frames that are facing and not (or not only) to the consecutive ones.