Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I see lots of people discussing both the qualities of Tri-X and home processing, so here goes.

Who else shoots 3200 ISO?
I have, but it's more out of realising that I forgot to change the bloody camera settings. I don't now, because the ME Supers only go to 1600. I do shoot a lot at 1600, though.

06-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #62
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
But still, Tri-X is my favourite film, and it's a favourite of a lot of photographers. If Kodak discontinue this stuff, there's gonna be a riot. TMAX is horrid, and Fuji and Ilford don't have anything that really matches it, though they do have some excellent BW film.
I don't know if I would say that Tri-X is all that better than Fuji or Ilford's traditional films - just different. Tri-x is IMHO the most flexible and forgiving, but Ilford HP5+ comes close (and to my eyes there look is similar). Fuji's Neopan film (400 and 1600) are the cat's ass - they have a different look to them (the grain seems different) and are much more affordable than Kodak products - I used to shoot 100% kodak until I tried Neopan 400 several years ago - I haven't shot Tri-x since.

that being said I suggest that people play with a bunch of different films - they all have different looks and properties.

As far as TMAX is concerned - I've never had luck with it, but I have seen some AMAZING work that others have done with it. I think the key is working with it long enough to get to know it's developing/printing properties. Tri-x on the other hand is not very demanding (you can be REALLY sloppy with the stuff and still get printable photos) therefore more popular.
06-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Javier, I have seen quite a lot of dark room equipment on Craigs List recently. Might be worth a look if you are thinking of trying your own D&P. This has been an interesting thread, thanks for starting it.
Gary
Gary,
Thanks for the kind words. In this ''DSLR'' world we live in, we tend to take for granted those folks who laid the way for us. I wish I would have discovered the joy in shooting film 25 years ago. I say 25 years, because my wife has been all about film until a couple of years ago when she finally went digital. As for me, I have been shooting film for a little less than a year now and I am surely shooting less digital everyday. I really love shooting film. It really makes me think about what I am doing instead of pointing and shooting away...

I have been looking into developing my own film and will be doing it this summer for sure. I have looked on craigs list and there is many things I am thinking about. Right now I have my eye on this...
PENTAX 67 body + lenses (2) for sale / or will sell individually!