Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #16

Original Poster
LesDMess, do you do your own printing? I'm not set up for scanning and printing, but I'm thinking I'm headed in that direction. I've done a bit of research on scanners, but I'm pretty clueless on good-quality printers.

11-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use MLU with a tripod for my macro shots (when I remember), and a wireless remote. No scientific data, but I seem to get more keepers than when I forget to set MLU.
11-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #18

Original Poster
Demondata, I'm always leery of locking up the mirror on macro. I get the concept, but with the critical focus and super-shallow DOF in macro, I wondered if just the act of mashing the button to move the mirror might cause enough movement to affect the focus. I've shot it both ways and can't tell much difference. Maybe I'm just not that good...

Edited for typo
11-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For cameras that have the feature and don't flip the mirror up with the self-timer, yes, I will use it. On my dSLR, always.

Steve

11-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any kind of astro work on a tripod requires MLU and a remote release. Sometimes the 2s delay is not long enough before triggering the shutter. Depends on how well-damped your setup is.

Jack
11-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #21

Original Poster
When you say astro, does that imply a telescope? If so, I could imagine any vibration at all would be catastrophic. I'd like to see some of those shots, if you're willing.
11-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No telescope, just my DA*300 lens. But you are right, the longer and heavier the setup, the higher chance of vibrations ruining your shot. There are two paramounts in astro work: focus and lack of vibration. Anything that can minimize vibration is a good thing.

Jack

11-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX must be my favorite Pentax SLR - I now have three of them!

I don't do astrophotography, macro or long telephoto work.
I never use the mirror lockup, and have only ever activated it by accident.
On the rare occasion I "fat finger it" it always takes me a few seconds to remember what's wrong...

Chris
11-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #24
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With film I did a lot of tripod based copying of art on film--and always used mirror up via the 10 second timer on my alpa and nikon. The advantage is mirror slap induced vibration can be very bad--typically in the 1/60 to 1/15 s range (it is camera dependent)--and it cost nothing to be safer. The dslr's would be also prone to mirror slap vibration.

The other thing you may want to consider is it true mirror up or is it only with the (now) 2 second timer. If the latter, it can be problematic w/ photo's of moving objects (e.g., macro of insects, flowers on windy day, etc.)--situations where the shutter must be tripped immediately.

BTW you may be interested in knowing the spotmatic and K1000 had an unadvertised mirror up capability (and I presume all the models in between--don't know about the earlier or later ones). You had to give the shutter release a "slap" and the mirror went up--and then pushing shutter release again took the picture (w/ practice you can get pretty good at using it).

Last edited by dms; 11-20-2014 at 09:51 PM.
11-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #25

Original Poster
dms- I tried it. I got exactly 1 mirror lockup out of 25 attempts on an empty K1000. That proves it's possible. It also proves I need practice.

I'm starting to think if I could smash the K1000, the KX and the K2 into one camera, I'd have the perfect SLR.

I know many don't like it, but I like the K1000's always-on floating needle. I think I'll like the option of Auto mode on the K2. It's very rare that I want to shoot in Auto, but when I do, it'd be nice to have. And it's not overbearing on the K2; it's just there, ready if you want it. And there's something non-quantifiable about the KX. I just seem to really like the pictures I take with it. Color, composition, focus...there's something about it. Chris Platt, I can see how you'd wind up with 3 of them.

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 11:25 PM ----------

Oh, and it is a true mirror lockup on the KX. Flip a lever, push a button, and the mirror stays up until you release it. No timer required.
11-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Mirror shake is most apparent when using long focal length, narrow DOF or macro. However, if you want the most absolutely critically focused shot - and the photographic situation allows it, then use a tripod, MLU and remote cable.

Of course with fabric type shutters, make sure you don't face it to the sun for prolonged periods of time with MLU.
I hadn't thought of that, but that would be a hazard. RF cameras with cloth focal plane shutters can suffer focused sun burn pinholes.....
11-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I hadn't thought of that, but that would be a hazard. RF cameras with cloth focal plane shutters can suffer focused sun burn pinholes.....

I noticed these disclaimers in the EOS1 & 3 manuals. I suppose that is the importance of titanium used in the LX, and others.
11-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use MLU with my LX; with the exposure determined at time of the shot there's no worry with changing light. Not all cameras need MLU, the Pentax 645n doesn't seem to, according to The Luminous Landscape. See this: 645-MLU Now if only my 645n had the LX's off the film exposure system! Why, Pentax, why? The most advanced system there was.......
11-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
I'm starting to think if I could smash the K1000, the KX and the K2 into one camera, I'd have the perfect SLR
In the "K Series" world that would be the K2DMD!

Phil.
11-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently own a nice Pentax K2 but seldom use it.
Over the years I have owned a couple of K2DMD bodies.
It's an improvement over the K2 but I'd rather use a KX.
FWIW I sold my Pentax LX as well but kept the KX bodies.

Chris