Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

MLU philosophy?

Another question from the new guy...

I grew up (photographically speaking) on a K1000, which is without all the features found on many other models. Lately, I find myself bonding more and more with my KX, which has, among other things, mirror lockup.

I certainly don't have any hard and fast rules about when I use mirror lockup, but mostly it's on exposures longer than I would handhold (maybe 1/30 out to minutes). I sometimes use it on macro stuff, although not always.
How about you? Do you use it? What are your parameters? Can you tell that it makes a difference in your images?

All advice and opinions are welcome.

11-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean only for film SLRs, or with DSLRs as well?
On DSLRs I use the 2sec timer (which includes MLU) when I take long exposures (astrophotography, night photography) and "product photos", "Studio photos" of still things. So, similar to what you said. Oh, and only if I have a tripod or some other sturdy base. Basically whenever I have the time and want top notch quality.
Don't have an SLR with MLU function, though.
11-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mirror shake is most apparent when using long focal length, narrow DOF or macro. However, if you want the most absolutely critically focused shot - and the photographic situation allows it, then use a tripod, MLU and remote cable.

Of course with fabric type shutters, make sure you don't face it to the sun for prolonged periods of time with MLU.
11-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey, I'm open-minded. DSLRs qualify. Can you tell a difference in images with the mirror locked up vs not?

11-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Mirror shake is most apparent when using long focal length, narrow DOF or macro. However, if you want the most absolutely critically focused shot - and the photographic situation allows it, then use a tripod, MLU and remote cable.

+1 especially using the larger Pentax 6x7 bodies & lenses.

Phil.
11-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use it every time I use a tripod - I don't have a remote release and just choose the 2 sec. self-timer which automatically disables IS and enables mirror lockup.
11-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
+1 especially using the larger Pentax 6x7 bodies & lenses.

Phil.

I only have the Mamiya RZ67 but that huge mirror thumps too!

11-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
So if I'm doing something like a 5-second dusk landscape-ish shot with a 50mm, the MLU feature won't make much difference?
11-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
So if I'm doing something like a 5-second dusk landscape-ish shot with a 50mm, the MLU feature won't make much difference?

Mounted on a tripod with a wide angle lens, the tiny amount of mirror shake from most 35mm cameras will hardly be noticeable. Depending on your tripod and how you press the shutter will probably cause more shake and that's why I would recommend a cable release.
11-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With long lenses - moonshots etc. the timer and a remote are your best allies. and cold, dry air of course....

My Dad used to do a lot of bulb mode work in the film day. I should get his negatives and scan them. First I should make a film scan rig with the K5...

With macro, when a set piece, I use the timer instead of remote. Probably I should use both.

Do you have a trigger cable?
11-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yes, that's my typical setup: tripod with cable release. I've looked at prints (none bigger than 8x10) and couldn't really tell any difference between locked up and not, but I wasn't sure if my old eyes just weren't seeing it. I haven't done critical tests, used a loupe, etc.
11-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
With long lenses - moonshots etc. the timer and a remote are your best allies. and cold, dry air of course....

And of course a sturdy tripod and mount.
11-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
TER-OR, what benefit does the timer offer? My KX has a self-timer, but I've never used it. I just compose, lock the mirror up, then snap the shutter via the cable.

Edit: i reread your comment. I get it now.
11-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
Yes, that's my typical setup: tripod with cable release. I've looked at prints (none bigger than 8x10) and couldn't really tell any difference between locked up and not, but I wasn't sure if my old eyes just weren't seeing it. I haven't done critical tests, used a loupe, etc.

I scan at 4000dpi so I am a critical focus fanatic. Or you can examine your film with a 40X magnifier setup and lightbox.

11-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

K-01, problem solved!
Jokes aside, I was using 2s timer for almost all tripod shots with the K100D Super, if only because it automatically excludes SR so I don't risk forgetting it off when I'm done with the tripod...