Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sights for sore eyes!

11-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Pretty much anything autofocus.

I find when Autofocus came out (MEF Excluded) they started to get a bit too electronic and fragile.

My main cameras are my Pentax ME, and my Praktica FX3.
But I'm collecting a Pentax MX I bought this afternoon, so I expect it will take the Prakticas place in my usual bag.
11-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Pretty much anything autofocus.

I find when Autofocus came out (MEF Excluded) they started to get a bit too electronic and fragile.

My main cameras are my Pentax ME, and my Praktica FX3.
But I'm collecting a Pentax MX I bought this afternoon, so I expect it will take the Prakticas place in my usual bag.
This is an interested and not unexpected idea. My decision in the late '70s to get an MX was because it was simple an likely to last. It did. It will be interesting to see if the K3 is still as usable in 35 years.
11-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
Spotmatics;
I've not had very good luck with them! The two that I still have, neither meter works though this isn't a problem for me because I just use my trusty Gossen. Everything else in them is built tank-tough. The others I have, K1000, Me Super, Super Program work great. Seals are probably the most common issue; Even when they look a bit dodgy they still do their job but when they start to crumble and shed...time to replace.

11-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I must say very well . . .
Your MXs are beautiful. Have they been CLA's or did you just take good care of them?
11-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I've not CLA'd them and both are perfectly working. The chrome will need foam replacement.
11-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I've not CLA'd them and both are perfectly working. The chrome will need foam replacement.
Impressive!

11-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

BTW, I have bought non-working Pentax thinking Eric can fix whatever ails them. I bought the 1957 original AP in good cosmetics that had issues but I figure nothing Eric couldn't fix. I bought the 1958 K as-is non-working but it turned out to be clean and fully functional and didn't need any work.

11-28-2014, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I send every used body I acquire to Eric for service, working or not.

At minimum after 20-30 years light seals and bumper foam are suspect.
Likely shutter speeds should be adjusted and possibly meter.

For my $60 investment I will have a reliable shooter for many years.
I consider that a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Chris
11-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Other old cameras to avoid: anything they don't make film for anymore (except 620), anything that has a bellows and says Kodak on it...
You have perhaps forgotten the magnificent Kodak Retinas from Germany.
11-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swamp boy Quote
Are there any Pentax cameras that you would likely avoid due to the age of the camera? For example, would you avoid buying a Super Program, Program Plus, LX, or ME Super due to the age of the electronics inside? Of course the all-manuals (K1000, MX, etc.) have less to break, so they probably age more slowly (and perhaps gracefully). Are there any of the older models where the materials/parts (shutter, advance lever, take-up spool, etc.) start breaking down after 30+ years? These questions are aside from the built-in light meters.

Are there any models that are just hitting their stride at 20-30 years?
They will all need servicing (go to Eric). My favorite is the LX, next the MZ-5n. Both are high on the avoid list. Service them--as you'll need to do with any older body--and use them. The early electronic bodies do not interest me. Some probably should be avoided as people have said. Any camera will need servicing. Some will merit it more than others--and perhaps for strictly personal reasons.
11-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote

You have perhaps forgotten the magnificent Kodak Retinas from Germany.
I have not forgotten. The Retinas are beautiful cameras. I gave mine to my sister.

The problem with folding cameras is that when I get one, I have to get them all.
Maybe I could have just one Isolette III.