Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K1000 + Weather

Hi Folks..
It is projected to be raining through this memorial day weekend and I must take advantage of it to go out and shoot some photos. My question is simply this. How does the K1OOO handle the rain, bad weather? Should I put in a bag? Any thoughts and or ideas?

05-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It should hold up ok, but a bag or towel would not hurt.

The K1000 was my main camera when i shot horse show jumping with film, and i did a few in so so bad weather. It lived.

A lurker over at PDML, and a one time GFM speaker, uses a small towel an puts it over lens and body. He does a lot of his nature, flower work in foggy and wet weather, and it works for him.

I once had a SP500 go for a swim in the Pacific ocean, off of the Queen Charlotte Is in BC Canada, in 1975, and it finally needed a CLA in 1994.

Dave
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LX has special seals against moisture and dust.

Chris
05-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The ZX-M is often criticized for being plastic; however, I have used this camera on windy days at the beach with no problems. I think, overall, it is probably more a matter of being careful and using one's common sense.

05-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks folks. I did take take it out yesterday during the rain. Unfortunatly, there was not much to shoot, but I did get off a few. Hopefully today will be a better day.
05-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are shooting Tri-X in dreary conditions try using a yellow filter to increase contrast.
If you don't like viewing through a filter you can "push" the film, i.e. underexpose then overdevelop.

Chris
05-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #7

I'd be more worried about taking lenses out in the rain than hurting the k1000 its a tank and should be fine. Id rather take that out instead of my LX in bad weather just because of value. Like everyone already mentioned just shield it from the direct weather.
I'm going to have a month of being careful ahead of me, I'm taking the 67 to Scotland to shoot some slide film and with how rainy it is over there it will be fun.

06-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
mine has been in ALL weather the good the bad the VERY bad lol

just take the lens off open the back a bit lett dry and off you go a gean
06-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once had a Nikonos III but sold it. Very nice camera.
For really bad weather now I have a Yashica T4 Super.

Chris
06-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My KM went into the drink (canoe tipped over) and came out of the lake filled with water. Took off the lens, shook out as much water as I could and put the camera and lens in the oven at as low a setting as I could - about 200 degrees. Left it there for about 2 hours - this happened in 1981 and I'm still using the camera and lens today!! As someone above said - built like a tank!!
06-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
My KM went into the drink (canoe tipped over) and came out of the lake filled with water. Took off the lens, shook out as much water as I could and put the camera and lens in the oven at as low a setting as I could - about 200 degrees. Left it there for about 2 hours - this happened in 1981 and I'm still using the camera and lens today!! As someone above said - built like a tank!!
I'll have to remember that!
01-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
A lurker over at PDML, and a one time GFM speaker, uses a small towel an puts it over lens and body. He does a lot of his nature, flower work in foggy and wet weather, and it works for him.
Do you have a link to some of the work ? Foggy weather looks great, but I find it really hard to capture

QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
I'm going to have a month of being careful ahead of me, I'm taking the 67 to Scotland to shoot some slide film and with how rainy it is over there it will be fun.
Do you have a link, or some samples ? would love to see them