Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 01:27 AM   #1

Picture Data

I've looked for a similar thread, but can't find one. I have recently acquired a P30N which I'm finding good fun to practice and learn with. I prefer it to my MX, but perhaps because it's a little more automatic in its metering!

My question is simply how to get the metadata (or perhaps I mean EXIF) of developed film to show the camera type and the lens type. I load pictures to Flickr and whereas my digital shots will show 'Pentax K-30' and 'FA35mm', etc, of course those uploaded from a developed film disc do not. They all say Fujifilm SP-3000 or something similar (I assume this is the developing machine).

So, is it possible to change this, so I can record the true camera and lens?

many thanks

12-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
I've looked for a similar thread, but can't find one. I have recently acquired a P30N which I'm finding good fun to practice and learn with. I prefer it to my MX, but perhaps because it's a little more automatic in its metering!

My question is simply how to get the metadata (or perhaps I mean EXIF) of developed film to show the camera type and the lens type. I load pictures to Flickr and whereas my digital shots will show 'Pentax K-30' and 'FA35mm', etc, of course those uploaded from a developed film disc do not. They all say Fujifilm SP-3000 or something similar (I assume this is the developing machine).

So, is it possible to change this, so I can record the true camera and lens?

many thanks
There are a number of programmes available that can change exif data - which is what you need to do. I use exif pilot, (www.exifpilot.com) which s freeware and suits my needs - you can import exif data from one image to another (usefu for me as sometimes the exif gets "lost" if pp'ing using multiple programmes) or you can enter details manually.

Other programmes available!
12-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Film cameras do not record that info. It would require some kind of user input if it could be done. Some cameras had the facility to date stamp the frame, but that's about all. The EXIF (metadata) is something that has evolved with the digital age.
12-20-2014, 02:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Film cameras do not record that info. It would require some kind of user input if it could be done. Some cameras had the facility to date stamp the frame, but that's about all. The EXIF (metadata) is something that has evolved with the digital age.
Indeed. And this is the issue. I get the film developed and put onto a disc which, as a digital product, contains metadata; it is the data the disc shows that I want to edit, in order to put the camera and lens type into that background information. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

---------- Post added 12-20-14 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
There are a number of programmes available that can change exif data - which is what you need to do. I use exif pilot, (www.exifpilot.com) which s freeware and suits my needs - you can import exif data from one image to another (usefu for me as sometimes the exif gets "lost" if pp'ing using multiple programmes) or you can enter details manually.

Other programmes available!
That's great, thanks. I use a Mac, and this programme seems to be for PCs only. So I'll keep looking . But helpful to know this is the kind of thing I'm searching for. I'm surprised Elements doesn't have this as a simple part of the editing package.

12-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use exiftool on my Mac to update all the necessary fields (camera, lens etc.). It's a command line utility and works well.
12-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wirrah Quote
I use exiftool on my Mac to update all the necessary fields (camera, lens etc.). It's a command line utility and works well.
Thanks. How could I not want to use a tool that (really) includes: 'Decodes a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma' on its list of features.
12-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry if I wasn't clear

My apologies. I think exiftool is your answer.

12-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Some of the data backs allowed the imprint of aperture and shutter details.
The dial data MX apparently allows this.

Backs for the Pentax K-Mount Bodies
12-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. How could I not want to use a tool that (really) includes: 'Decodes a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma' on its list of features.
It does it well...
01-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use exiftool in combination with ExifToolGUI. The GUI allows easy bulk writes into multiple files. Unfortunately ExifToolGUI is no longer actively maintained, but should work with current versions of exiftool.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

ExifToolGUI
Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.15

Steve
01-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

analogExif on mac is what I use, graphical and all... very nice

AnalogExif | SourceForge.net
01-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There may be others but the Canon 1V and Maxxum 9 are two film cameras I know with the ability to record full shooting data.
01-06-2015, 02:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you learn the effects of shutter speed and aperture it's usually quite easy to discern what you've done wrong (or right) just by looking at your photos.
I often wonder why we feel compelled to quantify everything, and warehouse mountains of meaningless data - simply because we can?
If you must, there's always a pencil and paper, a method that worked for centuries before computers. And no batteries are required!

Chris
01-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your help. I've ended up going in circles on some of these that won't load on a mac (as some are no longer available through the App Store). I've ended up with Exif Editor, which seems to do the tricks I needed. At least I now know what film camera and lens I used (although I need to write it in a little book at the time of shooting, so I can refer back once developed!)
01-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

There were a few cameras that could do that, the P645 and MZS among those, and a few of the latter NIkons (F4-F5)

Now to edit the EXIF you need some software like exiftool or exif-o-matic... i think there are also one or 2 add-ins for GIMP