Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KEH cleaning reviews?

I've got a Spotmatic II in pretty much original condition, I think I'd like to have it CLAed by someone reputable. However, I'm am budget minded at this time.

KEH has a deal to clean, lube and adjust for 45 dollars, plus shipping...

Anyone used them for a cleaning? Anyone have a favorite repair shop they'd like to suggest?

thanks,

germar

05-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Camera Service

I have used Eric Hendrickson of Pentax Camera Service for many years - he has CLA'ed at least a dozen M42 and K-series Pentax cameras for me, including Spotmatic II (most were since sold, but I still have a KX, and an MESuper he just did - and he has a K2 right now).

Many here and all around the Pentax community believe he does the best work for the fairest price - I know I certainly do.

Here is a link to his website - click all the links in the right-side frame to learn the whole story, especially Other Information (pictures of a CLA in progress).

Pentax Camera Service Home

Runs about $68 and absolutely worth the money - no risk to you - if you decline his estimate he will ship your camera back no charge, so when you consider shipping a Spot II, it is really the same price.

P.S. - I have no financial interest or axe in this - I just highly recommend Eric - he is a gem.

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I've got a Spotmatic II in pretty much original condition, I think I'd like to have it CLAed by someone reputable. However, I'm am budget minded at this time.

KEH has a deal to clean, lube and adjust for 45 dollars, plus shipping...

Anyone used them for a cleaning? Anyone have a favorite repair shop they'd like to suggest?

thanks,

germar
05-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another vote for Eric Hendrickson.
I have been using him for years.

What would us Pentax users do without him?

Chris
05-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Eric just did some work on a Vivitar lens for me--excellent job, and good price, too. Eric is a valuable resource

05-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Eric just did some work on a Vivitar lens for me--excellent job, and good price, too. Eric is a valuable resource
What kind of work did he do for your lens? And how much if you don't mind explicating?
05-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Eric removed two small fragments from my lens, one from inside the rear element, and one from inside the front element.
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Anyone have a favorite repair shop they'd like to suggest?
To continue the unanimous vote of confidence for Eric, I would NOT let anyone else touch my Spotmatic. He is actually a real person. I have even spoken with him on the telephone.

Bill

05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree: Eric is a real person. I gather that he does not treat one's equipment as if it were just some nameless hunk of parts...and he is a Pentax expert (check his "about me" page).
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #9

I am guessing from the website that Eric does not work on digital cameras. I have a broken LCD. Please chime in if you know otherwise.

Anyone know a digitalized Eric. Thx
05-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spb37 Quote
I am guessing from the website that Eric does not work on digital cameras. I have a broken LCD. Please chime in if you know otherwise.
Can't you just send it back to Pentax?

Also another vote for Eric from me. I've sent him a couple ME Supers, K1000s, MXs, and even a Minolta SRT-201. He's a great guy and his prices are very reasonable. I didn't know that he also does lens repair/cleaning. I'll have to send him an email...
05-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Another vote for Eric! I have bought two Spotmatics from him that he fully serviced and had him service my Spotmatic F. He offers excellent prices and truly great service.

Don
05-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spb37 Quote

Anyone know a digitalized Eric. Thx
Is the LCD broken or just to very out cover (plastic one)? If it's just the cover, you can get it as a spare part from Pentax for around $15USD then just replace it yourself (if you know how to open up the back of the camera). If the LCD is broken, there is nothing you can do about it except send it back to Pentax.

Good luck.
05-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #13

Way out cover looks fine and all I see is a green vertical line, a blue vertical line and a semincircular crack when the lcd lights up. Back to pentax. Thx everyone.