Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Does my ME Super need a service?

I acquired a ME super and for the heck of it decided to shoot some film through it.

Most of the results turned out nice, but there there are some which looks a bit suss. Being a film newbie I have no idea what problems I am looking at. I imagine maybe light seals + shutter?

Top left some flare like thing:

Band of uneven exposure (slightly brighter than rest of frame) on RHS:

and again...

Band of darkness on top right, pretty certain this was shot at 1/2000:

Flare or light leak on top right?

and again:

But in general I really like the results:

The rest of the album can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58023469@N04/sets/72157649979423799/

01-20-2015, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It does look like a little bit of light leak and maybe some shutter issues with the timing.
A CLA is always nice to have on these cameras if you can spare the money.
01-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd. Check the seals around the back first. Also which lenses did you use?
01-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
The interesting thing is that the other pictures in the album look to me to be completely fine.

The ones taken at night is the tokina 20-35mm. The other shots are a combination of the pentax smc k 55mm 1.8 and tamron 35-80 sp.

Not sure how much a cla will be. I imagine the light seals will be a lot cheaper to do first. I can live with it if the shutter only has problems at high and low speeds.

01-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe you can the light seals on the exterior body by placing black electrical tape over all of the seams and hinges to block out light. Take some pictures and check. The internal seals are harder to imagine testing easily.
01-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
I see that you are in Australia.
All the best with your film shooting!
Should you wish to get it serviced I can recommend f16 at Margate, a near Brisbane suburb. Alan's telephone number is 07 3284 1588 and his web address is Camera Repairs & Services | Film or Digital Camera Maintenance | F16 Camera Service and he does repairs by post.
Regards.
01-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Chances are your seals are toast. You can easily check the seals by touching the material with a toothpick or similar wooden splint. The material should be springy and resilient. If sticky, crumbly, or hard it should be replaced. Be sure and check the mirror bumper foam as well. You can do the replacement yourself with available kits or pay to have the job done as part of a CLA. I usually recommend Jon Goodman's excellent kits ($10 USD), though I don't know if he will ship down under.

One of your shots shows a shadow at the right. That might be an indication of a lazy shutter curtain.

Steve

01-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 1/2000 shot does show that the 2nd curtain catches up with the first curtain making the edge dark. Hopefully cleaning the shutter blades fixes the problem as the shutter curtains of this type of shutter aren't really designed to be adjusted like horizontal run shutters are.
01-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

I might try the tape with some colour film next.

I will check out a repair place local to me, but failing that I will see how much the guy in Brisbane costs
01-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Hopefully cleaning the shutter blades fixes the problem as the shutter curtains of this type of shutter aren't really designed to be adjusted like horizontal run shutters are.
Cleaning the shutter is not something I would recommend unless done by a competent technician. As for adjustment...the ME Super shutter is electronically controlled and IIRC, there is nothing to adjust.

Steve