Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

where to find?

so, lately i've been thinking about getting a pentax film camera, but photo stores dont seem to list any film cameras at all. where do you buy yours? anybody knows a good site with list/product pix/specs?
i'd probably want something thats compatible with my k10d's KAF2 lens, but im open to other ideas

05-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can't go wrong with a Pentax PZ-1P - it operates almost exactly like the K10D, has a KAF2 mount, 1/8000 top shutter speed.. the works.

If you fancy going without the AF, a Program Plus or ME super would be the way to go (IMO)
05-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
You can't go wrong with a Pentax PZ-1P - it operates almost exactly like the K10D, has a KAF2 mount, 1/8000 top shutter speed.. the works.

If you fancy going without the AF, a Program Plus or ME super would be the way to go (IMO)
thanks, that looks really good to me
what year was it made?
and still i wonder where could i find list of pentax film cams (newer ones at least)
05-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a full list of all Pentax film and digital bodies ever made, this is the most comprehensive resource I know of - Pentax Camera Bodies

05-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
For a full list of all Pentax film and digital bodies ever made, this is the most comprehensive resource I know of - Pentax Camera Bodies
thanks again!
so it looks like they started making that cam in 95?
what do u think about *ist cam? it seems the newest one there
05-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

With regard to more contemporary film cameras, I bought a ZX-M recently from Amazon. It is a brand new camera. The ZX-M has been out of production for a few years, but there are still a few new ones left out there.

With regard to bayonet-mount MF cameras, I would recommend the ZX-M and ME Super. The ZX-M is compact and has some useful modern features, and the ME Super is nicely designed and has a fabulous viewfinder. If you would like a "classic" (and very capable) MF camera--one with superior build quality and the availability of excellent, dirt-cheap lenses--buy a Spotmatic F. You can find a very nice used example for $100 or less (often with a lens, too). In my view, there is no better deal in photography than a Spot F with a Super Takumar or SMC screwmount lens. With an adapter (which may be had for about $20), virtually any K-mount lens can be mounted on a Spot F. I have not purchased such an adapter, as I have yet to find fault with screwmount lenses. I was able to buy so many for so small an investment that I have yet to try all of them. Their build quality is simply superb.

Glen

PS: The Bojidar K-mount page (linked in a post above) is an excellent source of information, but it is limited to bayonet-mount camera equipment (as opposed to earlier screwmount gear).

Last edited by zx-m; 05-30-2008 at 07:47 AM.
05-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
is pentax making any new ones currently?
anybody knows how much medium format film cams cost?

05-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No, Pentax has ceased production of film cameras As far as I am aware, the only current-production film cameras are the Nikon F6 (about two grand for one) and the rangefinders made at the Cosina factory (see CameraQuest Home). I have heard that the Cosina cameras are pretty nice...fairly reasonably-priced, too, for what they offer.

Medium format cameras tend to offer more resolution, but also tend to be more expensive. Additionally, they are not as portable as 35mm SLRs. Again, I would just go with a Spot F and some screwmount lenses, save a bundle, and eschew AF.

Last edited by zx-m; 05-30-2008 at 08:19 AM.
05-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys, u have helped alot so far
05-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Medium format cameras tend to offer more resolution, but also tend to be more expensive. Additionally, they are not as portable as 35mm SLRs. Again, I would just go with a Spot F and some screwmount lenses, save a bundle, and eschew AF.
If you are willing to do MF, many of the 645s are not much larger than 35mm. I have Mamiya M645 (older manual) and a few lenses in the same bag I use for 35mm. Personally, I think the image quality is worth the reduced lens line-up and slightly different style of working.

Jeff
05-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
With an adapter (which may be had for about $20), virtually any K-mount lens can be mounted on a Spot F. I have not purchased such an adapter, as I have yet to find fault with screwmount lenses.
I don't think you will ever find such an adapter since the throat on an M42 mount is smaller than the throat of a K-mount. There are adapters to allow M42 on a K-mount body so you can use the M42 lenses on later K-mount bodies including the DSLRs.

Jeff
05-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had thought I had seen such an adapter somewhere on eBay, but I guess I was mistaken. The point is somewhat moot, though, as screwmount glass is excellent--and a better value than perhaps anything available. Also, who would want to deface the craftsmanship of a Spot F with the plastic barrel and inferior manual focusing of a contemporary lens?
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Amazon.com: Leica M 6 - Rangefinder - 35mm - body only - silver chrome: Camera & Photo
Try one of these great 35mm camera's...lol
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If I had $1,999.99, I might. Actually, on second thought, I would not. I just would not want to spend that much on a camera. Again, the screwmount lenses are a great value. I did not claim that they are the best available.
05-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
i wouldnt pay that for a 35mm camera