Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting Russian PDF

I found this Russian PDF while looking for details on the Electro Spotmatic. On my computer, none of the Russian text appears (this may be different on others.) I think this is most interesting for the photo it has of the Metalica, which is the best I've found on the Internet, and the Metalica's mount -- a clearly NOT-K bayonet.

http://kamepa.ru/images/courier_items/img_wux5ah.pdf

03-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Russian text doesn't show for me either.

Here is another image:

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/metallicaII_01.jpg

Per taunusreiter this prototype was shown at Photokina 1966.

Pentax could have given us this open aperture metering bayonet camera early. Instead we got the screw mount Spotmatic F late in the game. The result was that Pentax lost market share by hanging on to the screw mount for almost another 10 years.
03-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I found this Russian PDF while looking for details on the Electro Spotmatic. On my computer, none of the Russian text appears (this may be different on others.) I think this is most interesting for the photo it has of the Metalica, which is the best I've found on the Internet, and the Metalica's mount -- a clearly NOT-K bayonet.

http://kamepa.ru/images/courier_items/img_wux5ah.pdf
Interesting! The same info is here: ???????????? Asahi Pentax in a more accessible format.
03-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
in a more accessible format.
That's fantastic! That's the best photo of the Metalica s bayonet yet. What and interesting camera that would have been.

03-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The result was that Pentax lost market share by hanging on to the screw mount for almost another 10 years.
That is an interesting statement. I was in the camera market at the time and remember the screw mount vs. bayonet debate at the time. Pentax sales were strong and there were multiple makers of M42 cameras, none of which were struggling. Stop-down metering was widely regarded to be more accurate and bayonet mounts to be prone to wear.

Steve
03-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is an interesting statement. I was in the camera market at the time and remember the screw mount vs. bayonet debate at the time. Pentax sales were strong and there were multiple makers of M42 cameras, none of which were struggling. Stop-down metering was widely regarded to be more accurate and bayonet mounts to be prone to wear.

Steve
I was around, too! Viewed from Europe where I lived Pentax was strong in the 60'es (photo journalists used Pentax or Leica) and then started losing ground to primarily Nikon in the pro market and to Olympus, Konica, Minolta, etc. in the amateur market. When they introduced the K-mount it was late in the "mount game" and the K-series didn't have the turn-around impact one could have hoped. Olympus was by many viewed as more attractive thanks to their compact bodies. Then for a change Pentax was swift to respond and turned out the M-series just one year after the K-series. I have no market data, but it is my impression that the M-series was somewhat of a turn around success, but Pentax never regained the dominant position they had in the 60'es.

It is interesting that the ME became a great success despite being short on features and that the K-series didn't have much appeal until the featureless K1000 was introduced! I'm glad I'm wasn't the one who had to decide on market strategy, it seems the consumers often reacted (and reacts) counter-intuitively.
03-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
It is interesting that the ME became a great success despite being short on features and that the K-series didn't have much appeal until the featureless K1000 was introduced! I'm glad I'm wasn't the one who had to decide on market strategy, it seems the consumers often reacted (and reacts) counter-intuitively.
The K1000 sold because it was one of the last fully manual SLRs on the market. I remember getting mine in the late-80s. It was about $150 with an A 50/2. Only 1 camera was available cheaper, the Cambron TTL, which was a Zenit TTL. A screw mount camera with stop down metering.