Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super - Scratchy aperture

Hello!

I got a Pentax ME Super some days ago. Everything seems perfect with this camera - except of the black ring behind the lens-mount. Its the ring that rotates when you change the aperture. It goes very very scratchy. I read some repair-manuals, but I couldnīt find a manual that solves this problem. Maybe somebody knows what I could do to repair it. I also donīt want to disassemble the whole camera if it is not really necessary.

Would be great if anybody could help me.

Thank you very much.

Seimi

03-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take the lens off and see if it scratchy. If so, it is the lens and can be quite a chore to fix if you never did it before...beware.
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
its not the lens. its the black ring in the camera.
03-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When my aperture gets scratchy, it usually means I have not been shooting enough.

03-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a Pentax ME Super, and I don't know what black ring behind the mount you are referring to :/
Here is a photo of the camera, with the standard 50mm lens, and one without lens. Can you describe what ring?

03-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the OP is speaking about the mechanism in the body that activates the aperture control lever on the lens. I would not have any idea about how to go about servicing it, but Eric Henderson probably would.
03-14-2015, 03:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the really quick answers!!!

@ Caver:
I mean the ring that the red arrow shows. The aperture of the lens moves that ring by the piece that the green arrow shows.

@ Isimpkins:
Thats correct.
I havenīt been very often in this forum yet. Whoīs Eric Henderson? How can I contact him?

@ Tanzer:
I donīt think that shooting would solve the problem. Its so scratchy that I think using it would only cause more problems.

Attached Images

Last edited by seimi; 03-14-2015 at 03:37 AM.
03-14-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be able to get rid of the squeek. I dip a toothpick into a very light penetrating oil, (even lighter than WD40), and touch it against parts that seem to rub each other. Be caerful not to get it in the wrong places like the mirror or focus screen.
03-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
fixed

Perfect - its fixed!

I took a drop of oil between the black ring and the silver ring. then I turned it some times back and forth. now it moves very smoothly.
(Eric Henderson also gave me this tip.)
I didnt put oil on the matte black surface. the matt paint is there to prevent reflections. If this surface was oily, it would be reflective.

Thanks to you all and Greetings from Germany!
03-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seimi Quote
@ Caver:
I mean the ring that the red arrow shows. The aperture of the lens moves that ring by the piece that the green arrow shows.
OK, I see now, thanks! I checked on my ME Super, it has a smooth movement.
I'm glad you was able to fix it! ME Super is a very nice and capable small camera, I like it very much!
Good luck, and post some photos taken with it!
03-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I thought only Canon A-series cameras squeaked!

Chris