Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Temporary Pentax LX Sticky Pad Solution

I finally got an LX tonight. Most everything on it is literally perfect except that the pads are going to goo. So I put a Q-tip on one of the pads and some black good came back with it. And I recognize that -- it's the result of plasticizer migration. Having dealt with plasticizer migration before, I have a good (but janky) fix for it. I used some clear nail polish and put a hyper-thin, single-stroke application on each pad (ONLY). This seals the rubber so that the plasticizer cannot migrate any further.

How long will this last? Well, it will seal the plastic for years, but it won't solve any mirror-alignment issues if the pads were eroded at all. I've read account from people online (fisherman) who say they treated plastic with clear nail polish one time and, ten years later, had no further plasticizer issues (the gooification is not dissimilar to the process that used to cause soft fishing bait to melt through plastic tackle boxes.)

In the case of one of my LX's pads, I think it would be good for a long time as it had no pad erosion. The other needs to be replaced soon. But for the interim, the sticky pad issue is significantly reduced.

03-20-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good idea. That was almost exactly what I did, except I think I used a very thin layer of super glue.

*Edit* - Ops now I remember. It was plastic modeling glue, not super glue!

Last edited by sbc; 03-20-2015 at 06:04 AM.
03-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
It was plastic modeling glue, not super glue!
That's good to hear. Even a couple drops of super glue will turn your optics, mirror, and prism into a cloudy mess that can't be repaired.