Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LX Grip attachment method

I've just bought an LX -- it should arrive later this week. Many years ago, I briefly owned an LX -- I was a camera dealer and it was inventory. Unfortunately I didn't have it very long. But it had the grip and I recall finding it somewhat ergonomic. I wouldn't mind having a grip for this LX I'll be getting, but there is no stinking way I'm gonna pay the prices I see on eBay for a small hunk of hardwood that's worth maybe $3, tops. The only reason I can think of that it is priced as high as it is is there must be some sort of proprietary method of securing it to the camera. Probably using those LX strap lugs, yes? I carve wood for a living and I'm reasonably sure that I can come up with a nice, hardwood grip that will blow that embryonic blob that Pentax offers for the LX into the weeds.

Anyway, I'm hoping that somebody here who has a grip might be willing to photograph the back of it, where it attaches to the camera, so I can see how it attaches. Then I might be able to duplicate the attachment method. And if I can't, I might be able to come up with an alternative. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Far as that goes, if you have alternative ideas for grips, let me know what you've come up with. I'd be interested in seeing them and/or reading about them.

05-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just do a Google image search for "LX Grip" and you'll get all the photos you need.

The grips come in two flavours A and B. they both attach in the same way. At the top is a slot which slips over the top lug on the left side of the LX camera (when looking at it from the front). At the bottom of the grip is a spring loaded screw which screws into a matching hole at the bottom of the left side of an LX.

Neither of the grips are wooden.

Grip A is a hunk of plastic that you can carve to your desired shape.

Grip B is preformed plastic and comes in two versions. There is the normal version you commonly see and then there is the late model Japanese market version which features an additional strap lug on the grip. This allows the LX to be carried horizontally on a strap whereas with the normal Grip B the camera strap is attached to the two lugs on the right side of the LX.

I find that Grip B is very satisfactory for handling the camera.

Regards

Chris
05-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/174856-lx-gr...ernatives.html
05-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is how the grip attach to the camera.

Attached Images

05-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On a japanese website I found some technical drawings on how to make the grip, metal plate and which screw to use, but at the moment I can't find it, perhaps later I'll check it out more closely.
05-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keep in mind the grip interferes with the use of a regular camera strap. One of the worst designs in history, IMO... well, next to passenger dirigibles using hydrogen for lift.

Last edited by Wolfeye; 05-12-2015 at 07:36 AM.
05-12-2015, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Keep in mind the grip interferes with the use of a regular camera strap. One of the worst designs in history, IMO... well, next to passenger dirigibles using hydrogen for lift.
Mmm...no.

The strap is supposed to be installed on the two studs on the left so the camera is carried vertically like a 3 strap lugs Leica M5...and I think it's brilliant, I find it wonderfully ergonomic.

05-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like the Leica M5 design it seems not everyone agreed that it was "brilliant".

Note that later the Pentax LX2000 Grip B equivalent includes an additional lug
which allows attachment of strap in the normal configuration (almost).

Chris
05-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Like the Leica M5 design it seems not everyone agreed that it was "brilliant".

Note that later the Pentax LX2000 Grip B equivalent includes an additional lug
which allows attachment of strap in the normal configuration (almost).

Chris
That additional lug is kinds lame because the camera will always be unbalanced, regarding the M5 I'm a proud owner (and I also have a IIIb, a M3 and a M4-P) and I have no problems saying it was the best Leica ever made. Those who didn't like it never gave it a chance because it was...different.
05-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Forum Member

Since we're talking grips... I made one out of polymorph plastic. It's really quite simple, you just place these little plastic pellets in hot water and they soften enough that you can squeeze them into whatever shape you want. Just mold your grip by and placing the softened plastic flat against the table and gripping around the edge. Then you just drill a hole for the screw and the lug and you're in business!

Here are some pics of my prototype, spraypainted black and then varnished. Note that this one has no metal plate backing it. Incidentally, if anyone could provide measurements for one of those backing plates that would be awesome =)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-D802  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LG-D802  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LG-D802  Photo 
05-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The dimensions of the plate and the screws are in the japanese website I was talking about...perhaps this one?

http://www.pentax-fan.jp/body35K.html

Last edited by Cuthbert; 05-12-2015 at 03:09 PM.
05-13-2015, 02:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses, guys. And thanks especially the UncleVanya for providing the link to an earlier thread on this topic, which led to a link to the Flipbac website:

A Camera Grip for Canon S100 and Nikon V1

You know, I've never liked the looks of the Pentax grip and I was pretty serious about carving my own. And no, I didn't realize the two grips were plastic. I still think a wooden grip would work well on the LX.

But I gotta say that I really like the looks of that Flipbac. You know, being an old Canon guy, I've always felt the grip found on the A-1 and AE-1 Program to be satisfyingly adequate. The LX Grip A/B are sharper protrusions than the Canon grip. Also, grips such as those found on the Pentax Program Plus, Super Program, and Minolta X-700 fall within this same area of comfort. It doesn't need to be big, it just needs to be shaped right. And in that respect, I think the Flipbac G4 on an LX is just about perfect for that camera. As people in the link that UncleVanya provided mention, it does interfere with the self timer (see page two of UV's link for photos of the G4 on an LX). I'm one who will use a self timer on occasion, so I'm thinking that I might have to modify the grip some. See if I can cut away some of the material on the right side to give the self-timer clearance. I dunno. I might just decide to forego operation of the self-timer the way others decided to do.

If I decide to go with the G4 -- or one of my own making -- I'll post pics once I've installed it. Thanks again.
05-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy I was able to help.
09-07-2021, 02:42 AM   #14

Hi,

I realise I'm reopening an old thread here, but I thought I'd share an experience I just had with a new fitting screw for my 'third party' (3D printed) Pentax LX grip: the screw was a bit longer than it needed to be and when screwed fully home, I found I could no longer cock the shutter. Seems like the grip mount socket on the camera doesn't have a stop for the screw, but lets it go on until it hits some other component.
That screw came back out of there pretty fast, I can tell you! Luckily, I hadn't applied any great force and there is no sign of any permanent damage. And I found a shorter screw that can be turned fully home without any apparent ill-effects, but I'm a little uneasy now.

As it happens, I was planning to have the camera serviced soon anyway, so I'll be mentioning that as a point of note. Anyone else had any experience like this?
09-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ptermx Quote
Hi,

I realise I'm reopening an old thread here, but I thought I'd share an experience I just had with a new fitting screw for my 'third party' (3D printed) Pentax LX grip: the screw was a bit longer than it needed to be and when screwed fully home, I found I could no longer cock the shutter. Seems like the grip mount socket on the camera doesn't have a stop for the screw, but lets it go on until it hits some other component.
That screw came back out of there pretty fast, I can tell you! Luckily, I hadn't applied any great force and there is no sign of any permanent damage. And I found a shorter screw that can be turned fully home without any apparent ill-effects, but I'm a little uneasy now.

As it happens, I was planning to have the camera serviced soon anyway, so I'll be mentioning that as a point of note. Anyone else had any experience like this?
What 3D printed grip did you go with? There's a seller/maker based in Poland that I'm on the fence about.