Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 01:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I have an email into Eric, waiting on a response. I'm requesting a ballpark estimate on having the sticky pads replaced. The slow mirror is becoming an annoyance. When he responds I'll ask if he has a winder -- or at least a cover for the port.

I tried KEH for a winder a couple days ago. Nope. Also tried Robert's Camera -- nothing there either. I'm still waiting for my acquaintance to get back with me -- he supposedly kon

Thanks for the suggestions, GR. I find these "troubles" to be minor and none of them stand in the way of my enjoying this great camera. I've become very fond of this marvelous little tool. Back in an earlier life, I was a camera dealer -- I bought and solo photo gear -- and back then I briefly owned an LX -- with motor drive. I used it while I had it, and came to appreciate it quite immensely. That was some 25 years ago, and I've wanted another ever since. Well, things finally came together where I was able to pick one up at a price I could afford. And no way am I letting go of it just because of a few minor details. Yeah, it has a few scuffs and dings, but I don't care -- as long as it works, and that it appears to be doing quite well.

05-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
an ad interim solution for the sticky mirror syndrome is to cover the pads with some scotch.
05-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the time being you might 'Gaffer Tape' the openings . . . .
05-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, gaffer tape is what I was going to do for now. Cuthbert, I had actually thought of using something that would more or less neutralize the stickiness. Like some sort of non-abrasive dust, for example. Flour, maybe? But at this point, I haven't even been able to locate the pads. They must be entirely enclosed. Can they be reached from the bottom, once the bottom cover is removed?

05-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Yeah, gaffer tape is what I was going to do for now. Cuthbert, I had actually thought of using something that would more or less neutralize the stickiness. Like some sort of non-abrasive dust, for example. Flour, maybe? But at this point, I haven't even been able to locate the pads. They must be entirely enclosed. Can they be reached from the bottom, once the bottom cover is removed?
These are the pads, when the mirror is in the working position it rests on them:

Before doing the proper CLA I used some tape to raise the position of the mirror (mine was a serious case and the lens couldn't focus properly) and of course the stickiness was removed as well. Two TINY stripes of simple scotch would solve your problem that is not as serious as mine. The problem is that these pads were soft in order to damp the mirror (very efficiently, the FTB approach is also very effective with two leaf springs) and through the years the polymer used degraded causing this issue. Still, in your case a little bit of tape would solve the nuisance.
05-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the image, Cuthbert. Mine don't appear to be that obvious. Just little nubs sticking out from the sides of the mirror box. So I reached in there and felt around on both.They're pliable but don't really feel sticky. Still I tried wiping down each with my fingertip, and you know what, the delay in the mirror raising up is gone now. I wonder -- how would wiping them down with alcohol or maybe acetone work? -- to remove the stickiness.

My camera's mirror still seems to be aligned right, near as I can tell.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05-19-2015 at 03:54 PM.
05-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Thanks for the image, Cuthbert. Mine don't appear to be that obvious. Just little nubs sticking out from the sides of the mirror box. So I reached in there and felt around on both.They're pliable but don't really feel sticky. Still I tried wiping down each with my fingertip, and you know what, the delay in the mirror raising up is gone now. I wonder -- how would wiping them down with alcohol or maybe acetone work? -- to remove the stickiness.

My camera's mirror still seems to be aligned right, near as I can tell.
I think yes...for a while.

Even on mine it was sticky at the first shoot, then it worked fine for some time, and if I didn't shoot for 30 min it became sticky again.