Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat concept pictures - I think it would sell. It looks funny though without the winder arm, I would miss it. You know, about ergonomics - I used my Spotmatic regularly between 1970 when I got it as a 13-year old up through the mid '90's when I started using film and digital point and shoots for kid pictures. Just recently I started using the Spotmatic again every once in a while (it has some Tri-X in it right now), after I bought some of the Takumars on Ebay that I always wanted as a kid (to use mostly on my Sony NEX-5N and the K-50). When I use the Spotmatic, even now after all those years of it sitting in a closet, I don't really have to think too much about the controls, even though there is a lot for me to do (focus, decide what exposure approach to take, turn on meter switch, adjust f stop and shutter, check what I ended up with and adjust again if needed, frame, shoot). A very deliberate and somehow satisfying process, but it comes back to you naturally, like riding a bicycle. I suspect that as long as there is film, I'll still be using that camera.

06-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I think it would sell.

They might sell dozens; hundreds perhaps - many of those to Pentax Forums members no doubt.
I'm certain it would be another Pentax "rousing sales success" story!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-03-2015 at 03:54 PM.
06-03-2015, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Google "Pentax AP50".

https://www.google.com/search?q=pentax+ap50&biw=1429&bih=924&tbm=isch&imgil=...ml%3B500%3B333

Pentax AP50 DSLR – special 50th anniversary edition - SlashGear

This was a bog-standard K10d that Pentax reworked in 2007, to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the original Asahi Pentax, in 1957. The actually built a prototype, which was relatively easy, since it just involved a custom top plate without the built-in flash. It was never produced in quantity, even as a limited edition.

I like it.

That's about as close as you're going to get to a digital Spotmatic. Don't get me wrong. My first SLR was a Spotmatic. I still have it and occasionally use it. It was a great camera when I bought it in 1967, but it just wouldn't cut it today.
06-06-2015, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Don't get me wrong. My first SLR was a Spotmatic. I still have it and occasionally use it. It was a great camera when I bought it in 1967, but it just wouldn't cut it today.
Oh I'm sure it's picture taking ability is as good as it ever was. It is the photographer who makes a difference.

07-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #35
Pentaxian

The Spotmatic D concept is awesome. I would buy one.
07-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have my old Asahi Spotmatic IIa from when I purchased it while in the Navy. It came with the Tak 55/f1.8, and several years ago I picked up an AutoTak 85/f1.8 too.

I would argue that we already have the closest thing to a Spotie digital equivalent as we are likely to get. The K5 family. Excellent sensor, can do pretty much everything. They do have their weaknesses in certain areas, but its a good sensor size, very capable, excellent DR and IQ, implemented in a pretty wide model family (K5, K5II, K5IIs, K500, K30, K50, and the K-01). They are as plentiful and as inexpensive as you can get.

07-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #37
Forum Member

Nice idea. But if the price is anywhere near the Nikon DF, my wallet says I'll never be able to get one.

07-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder how the Fuji XT-1 and XT-10 are doing? they might be closest things we ever see to this concept.
07-09-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the most "film camera-like" experience I recommend ........................ a film camera!

Chris
07-13-2015, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And celebrate the 50th anniversary with the original Asahi Pentax. They work real well . . . still . . .

07-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
And celebrate the 50th anniversary with the original Asahi Pentax. They work real well . . . still . . .
A beautiful specimen. Will that auto lens work on it? It would have to be set to manual I would think. Now, who will be displaying a working K3 in 50 years?