Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #16

Original Poster
On the note of the spotmatic, is there a K moout adapter so you can put a M42 lens on a K body? It seems you can get good lens for the Spotmatic for cheap.

06-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I dislike cliches, but I feel that one is very appropriate here: you have hit the nail on the head. Yes, there is an adapter, and I paid $26 for mine (used on eBay). Again, I see no issues with just using a screwmount camera. The Spotmatic F is ruggedly built, and is basically a K1000 with a screwmount (rather than a bayonet mount). I have bought screwmount lenses--nice ones--for as little as $25--shipped I bought the adapter for use with my ZX-M.

Regards,
Glen

PS: The prices and availability of cameras like the Spotmatic F and K1000 are truly amazing. Just think about it: how much would it cost today to produce a camera as well made as either of these cameras? Likewise, how much would it cost today to build an M42 (screwmount) lens? I paid $81 for my last Spot F--and it is in near mint condition and came with a lens! When I look at today's four-figure plastic image computers (i.e. digital cameras), I wonder as to why they are so popular. The crowd has spoken, and the crowd rules, I guess.

Last edited by zx-m; 06-12-2008 at 06:17 AM.
06-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #18

Original Poster
What is the brand of your adapter?
So your thinking it might be better for me to get a Spotmatic? That would be neat with an adapter because I could use lens I have for my SF10 and use M42 lens, which sell for dirt cheap.
06-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Get only the genuine Pentax adapter--the Mount Adapter B. I would suggest avoiding the generic adapters, as some people have reported having problems with them. You may buy it used on eBay, or buy one here:

Pentax Imaging: Mount Adapter B - Adapter - Converters & Adapters - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

If I buy another one, I will buy it directly from Pentax (as above).

Yes, I would opt for a Spotmatic F. In doing so, you would, in effect, have done what I have done--that is, I have a more modern (electronic shutter) camera, the ZX-M--on which I use the adapter--and I also have the Spotmatic F. Actually, the Spot Fs are so cheap, I bought two of them. With regard to lenses, you will have a huge selection at dirt-cheap prices. I like to buy from KEH, as their consistency (in terms of quality and condition) is the best I have seen. I usually avoid buying lenses on eBay, as the extra $5 I save just is not worth it. Many eBay sellers do not accurately describe their items, or do not look carefully enough at the condition of the lens (remember, the condition of the lens is paramount, as the lens is "what takes the picture"). I say: just buy it from KEH, and sleep better at night.

Enjoy,
Glen

Last edited by zx-m; 06-12-2008 at 06:39 AM.
06-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #20

Original Poster
I'm sorry but what is KEH?
06-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

KEH is the largest buyer/seller of used camera equipment. Their condition ratings are quite conservative, their service is very good, and, most of all, they are honest. I have bought almost all of my lenses from KEH (check my profile). I have yet to have a problem with any. Go to KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

I have no association with KEH. I just like the way they do business, and have no qualms about recommending them.

I should also add that the "mint" or "minty" lenses that are so common on eBay would probably end up grading BGN (bargain) or perhaps EX (excellent) by KEH standards. I usually buy EX grade. There are some members here who have received EX-grade lenses from KEH that look almost new. I received an EX lens yesterday that looks quite close to new. It simply blows away the "mint" lens of eBay.

Last edited by zx-m; 06-12-2008 at 06:51 AM.
06-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #22

Original Poster
Which spotmatic make would be best?

06-12-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The Spotmatic F is the newest of the Spotmatic bunch (with a production span from 1973-1976, I believe). It has all the features you would want, and is fairly easy to obtain. If buying on eBay: look carefully and ask questions. I do not rule out buying a camera body on eBay, but I would advise being careful. Alternatively, an EX-grade Spot F from KEH is never a bad choice.

Glen
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
What is the brand of your adapter?
So your thinking it might be better for me to get a Spotmatic? That would be neat with an adapter because I could use lens I have for my SF10 and use M42 lens, which sell for dirt cheap.
Be careful: You can adapt M-42 screw mount lenses for K-mount cameras, BUT NOT vice versa. So, no lens from your SF10 will find its way to a Spotmatic!

Of all adapters only 2 work flawlessly: the original Pentax adapter and the one sold by Hama. Both are more expensive, than the Chinese adapters. The Chinese adapters can be grouped into two distinct classes:
a) the unusable ones, aka the ones with a flat ring around the pure K-mount. This ring prevents the lens from reaching infinity focus!
b) the hardly usable ones (like Kood), which at least allow infinity focus, but are mechanically very rough and will mount your a lens at any angle, but usually not with the focusing marks on the top of the lens.

Ben
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adapter myths and truths

On the subject of screwmount lens to K mount camera bodies:

I think there's a lot of FUD (fear, doubt and uncertainty) going around about adapters: Here's what I believe about some of the myths and truths:

"Pentax adapters are preferred due to fact they can be removed with a fingernail" ... it's true that Pentax adapters can be removed with a fingernail (you have to have long nails to start with tho) but I found the correct non-pentax adapters can be removed with a ball point pen and a little grunt. Sure, it's not as easy, but is it worth 30+ dollars vs. 14.95 at B&H???... you decide.

"All non-Pentax adapters won't focus to infinity" ... This is *partially* true. If you find an adapter on ebay that looks to have a FLANGE rather than being a perfect ring, don't buy it. These flanges force the lens to sit further away from the sensor, causing the lens to not focus to infinity. They are very easy to spot, and are usually VERY inexpensive.

"The cheap ones have a little metal tab that hold the adapter in place and it could break, allowing the lens to slowly unscrew from the body as you handle it"... the truth is they ALL have this metal locking tab and the possiblity of breakage exists for ANY adapter.

I have had excellent luck with this one:

General Brand | Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter | B&H

While this particular adapter does come with a special tool to remove it from the camera body, I must tell you that this adapter is extremely heavy duty and seems machined to very exacting tolerances. I have a genuine Pentax adapter, and I prefer The B&H one because it's so strong and will support any longer (and heavy) Takumar lens you might have. I only use the tool as a "fingernail" to start loosening the adapter, then I use my fingers to rotate it out the rest of the way.

I take comfort that if I lose the adapter, I'm out 14.95. The last time I checked the Pentax Genuine was unavailable from Pentax and was selling at ebay for the frankly stupid price of 30-50 dollars a piece.

Don't be fearful, doubtful and uncertain... try out the B&H one first before you pay some ebayer double what you should for this adapter.

just my two cents...

Germar
06-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Interesting comments, germar. Does anyone else sell the adapter that B&H sells?

Thaks,
Glen
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

Of all adapters only 2 work flawlessly: the original Pentax adapter and the one sold by Hama.
I have made very extensive use of the Roxsen (Chinese) adapter; it works flawlessly.

QuoteQuote:
Both are more expensive, than the Chinese adapters. The Chinese adapters can be grouped into two distinct classes:
a) the unusable ones, aka the ones with a flat ring around the pure K-mount. This ring prevents the lens from reaching infinity focus!
b) the hardly usable ones (like Kood), which at least allow infinity focus, but are mechanically very rough and will mount your a lens at any angle, but usually not with the focusing marks on the top of the lens.

Ben
The Roxsen is not rough at all. It places the focus marks to one side, but with the built-in flash protrusion blocking the view of markings in the "normal" position, I consider this a desirable feature. It puts the markings where I can easily see them.

And it mounts/unmounts with just a fingernail.
06-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Interesting comments, germar. Does anyone else sell the adapter that B&H sells?

Thaks,
Glen
As the BH adapter is "Made in Japan" (mark: not in China) I guess it is the same as the one sold by Hama. I could even imagine (but have no proof), that it is the very same, marketed by Pentax, but obviously with another engraving.

Ben
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have made very extensive use of the Roxsen (Chinese) adapter; it works flawlessly.

The Roxsen is not rough at all. It places the focus marks to one side, but with the built-in flash protrusion blocking the view of markings in the "normal" position, I consider this a desirable feature. It puts the markings where I can easily see them.

And it mounts/unmounts with just a fingernail.
Nice to hear, that there is a brand, that works to your satisfaction. Even the Kood works that way, but I personally prefer to find the markings on all my lenses on the same place. May be just a matter of getting used to... As I don't swap adapters, but have those permamently fixed to my few M42 lenses (only three or four), I like them to "behave" like any other K-mount lens (except, obviously, for the auto-diaphragm).

I also tried Chinese adapters (whatever brand), that were so roughly made, that I feared to damage the camera mount. In one instance I had to use a file to get rid of some flash protruding dangerously. Needless to say, that my small collection of Chinese adapters (three, I think) ended in my parts box and I will hopefully one day find something useful to do with them.

Ben
06-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks, Ben...where can I find the Hama adapter?

Glen