Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #1

ME Super or K1000

Hi. I guess I'm kinda nervous, with this being my first post. By the way, thanks to whoever built this forum. It is amazing.
To my question. Lately I've been considering another camera. Right now I have a SF10. Don't get me wrong, I love the camera. It is my first and only SLR. But I wanted another as a backup( okay, I admit it. I am a gear freak, I collect as much as I can). I've narrowed it down to two cameras. The K1000 and the ME Super. My question is: which one would you chose.
A little about my experience: little. I've read up on it but as to actually practicing photography, one week. I know I might be getting ahead of myself, but what do you think. Is it worth it? If so which one?
Thanks in advance! Snap away!

06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
The K1000 and the ME Super. My question is: which one would you chose.
K1000

1. It is just slightly larger and heavier so it fits my hands better.
2. The shutter buttons on the ME Super drive me crazy. Just in the wrong place for me.
3. If the battery fails, everything still works except the meter.
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of the two you mention I'd vote the ME Super.

1. It is compact, easy to carry
2. It has autoexposure, which, coupled with its (conveniently placed) EV compensation makes it a snap to use
3. Shutterspeed indication in the finder
4. A more sensitive light meter
5. Easier to load the film thanks to the "magic needles" take-up spool

You might want to look at an MX if you want a purely manual camera. It has shutter speed and aperture information in the finder, and is compact but still durable.

As an alternative to the ME Super you could also consider a Super Program/Super A.

With all this said: The K1000 is a classic and you would need one for your collection in any event!
06-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Is there a difference between the Super Program and the ME Super?

06-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a difference between the Super Program and the ME Super?
My vote is for the Super Program.

I got a Program A in a package on eBay, I liked it so much I went ahead and got a Super for the slightly faster shutter and flash sync.

Pentax Camera Bodies <--- follow link to see differences.
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
Is there anywhere else besides Ebay where I could buy a ME or a Super Program for a decent price?
06-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KX - K1000 with bells and whistles

With all due respect to the considered opinion her I have had a K1000 and a K2; I still have a KX and MESuper.

The KX is everything a K1000 is, plus features you will want later (similar to the MX mentioned above) but in the larger body - it is my choice to start out.

The MESuper is a wonderful walking around in your pocket camera with a short M prime lens attached.

You really can't go wrong with either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Of the two you mention I'd vote the ME Super.

1. It is compact, easy to carry
2. It has autoexposure, which, coupled with its (conveniently placed) EV compensation makes it a snap to use
3. Shutterspeed indication in the finder
4. A more sensitive light meter
5. Easier to load the film thanks to the "magic needles" take-up spool

You might want to look at an MX if you want a purely manual camera. It has shutter speed and aperture information in the finder, and is compact but still durable.

As an alternative to the ME Super you could also consider a Super Program/Super A.

With all this said: The K1000 is a classic and you would need one for your collection in any event!

06-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Which one in your experience is more durable?
06-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which one in your experience is more durable?
K1000 and KX are completely mechanical except for a black needle in the viewfinder that shows you what the camera thinks the exposure should be.

The K1000 has a bracket shaped sort of like a backwards C, and thinks exposure is correct when the needle is centered in the bracket. There are no other viewfinder displays.

The KX has a blue needle in the viewfinder that moves with your shutter speed dial, showing you the speed you have set. When you put the black needle at the same place as the blue needle, your exposure agrees with the camera's meter. The KX also has a periscope that displays the f/stop from the aperture ring at the top of the viewfinder.

Either of them is virtually indestructible. There are no electronic things to go wrong. If the battery dies, everything still works.

The M and later series of cameras use battery power for the viewfinder displays. No battery, no camera. The MX, for example, replaced the KX's blue needle with LEDs.
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Is there anywhere else besides Ebay where I could buy a ME or a Super Program for a decent price?
Craigslist.com,
At least it will be local and you can see before you buy.
I got a K1000 today with M50 F2, leather Pentax carry case (manual and accessory booklet included) and a flash for $35 dollars.

Welcome to the Forum
Gary
06-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have and use both cameras. For duribility, I would give it to the older K1000 (Japanese made) over the ME Super. The Chinese K1000 (IMHO) is not as durable as the ME Super.

If I could only keep one of the two I would keep the ME Super, based on spec's:

- smaller
- better light meter
- 1/2000 shutter
- better view finder (larger, brighter, split screen)
- shutter speed in view finder
- Aperture priority with auto shutter speed. (handy)
- Self timer
- metal shutter

Having said that, for me, the K1000 wins the emotional battle. It is just so far removed from a digital body, I really find it appealing. It was also my first camera that was not a hand me down. I found it! I Both are great cameras. Everytime I think I should sell the K1000, I deep down just don't want to.

The KX and the K2 are also good options. They just might be harder to find then the K1000 or the ME Super. They tend to also be more expensive, but they do have more features.

Others might disagree, but the only cameras of this erra I would avoid are the MG, MV and MV-1. The ME-F tends to go for a premium. The only reason I see to own it is if it is part of the colection, or you like using the very early autofocus.
06-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh I forgot to mention, What ever you do, don't bid on ANY BLACK MX bodies on ebay. You, um, just don't want one this week (or so). They just tend to not be very good. Yup. Best to avoid them. Right.... Ya...

The silver ones are fine.

But for the next couple of weeks, I hear the black ones are just no good.

I just want you to get the best camera for you. Ya... thats it.

My motives are pure.
06-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

EagleEye, welcome to the Forums! One of which is the Marketplace; scroll your browser window down until you see the link, and see who's selling what. Maybe a little safer than eBay, probably a bunch safer than Craigslist (not to say that there aren't reputable sellers on either of those web sources).

Whether you buy a K1000 or an ME Super, or other Pentax film camera, you will want to shop for a good, comprehensive manual/guide to film photography, and spend some quality time with it and your camera. Your learning curve will be climbed a lot faster if you learn the basics of photography and apply what you read to some shooting exercises. The more basic the camera (the K1000 is pretty close to baseline for an SLR), the more you need to understand exposure and optical fundamentals.
06-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #14

Original Poster
I have two books: The Basic Book of Photagraphy-by tom/Michele Grim.
More Joy of Photography- by the Editors of Eastman Kodak Company.
Are these okay or should I look for something else?
06-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Both the ME Super and K1000 are fine cameras, and you really cannot go wrong with either. I opted for a predecessor of the K1000, the Spotmatic F. I do not mind the screwmount, and very much appreciate the dirt-cheap prices and fine optics of the screwmount lenses. I still would not mind having a K1000 or ME Super. The ME Super has one of the best viewfinders ever (0.95x magnification), and also features manual operation and a top shutter speed of 1/2000. The K1000 has more metal (the ME Super's top plate is plastic), and is a favorite among K-mount enthusiasts...it just oozes with simplicity and good build quality.

Enjoy,
Glen