Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #1

Hey guys, having trouble with my Pentax Me Super (might be broken?)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys, I'm taking a Photo I class at the moment, so I'm really new to film cameras having been more of a digital photography type of person. I really don't know much of the terminology and the names of each function so I'll try my best to explain my situation.

Basically I finished my roll and i was trying to roll it back into the canister so that I could take it out and load another roll. I guess I spun it in the wrong direction and then it came completely off. Then as i was trying to screw it back on the little knob in the center got pushed in so... Also my film is 400 ISO and it's stuck on 800 no matter how much i spin it. I need immediate help.

Thanks a bunch.

06-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Ah the charms of 35m roll film... Your camera may be broken but it's worth trying to save your earlier captures.

Assuming you have not opened the camera yet in daylight. I'd try to retrieve the film using a darkroom changing bag somewhat like the one on this website

You may also need to respool the film onto a reel and put it in a tank within the changing bag first. You are working blind and only have touch and a cool assertive approach to assist at this point. Try doing it first with a an old film before doing it all in a bag. Or just get a friendly assistant at a photo lab to do it for you. :-)

Once that's done you might get a local photo shop to check out the the ME Super's winder and stuck ISO setting.

But it may be cheaper to buy another one. I see a bundled ME Super bundle with flash and film for less than USD$60 on Ebay per Pentax ME Super Film Camera Bundle Pentax Lens Sunpak Flash BAG Film | eBay

Last edited by johnhilvert; 06-22-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Grammar
06-22-2015, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To change ASA, you lift the dial and turn it. If the numbers turn with the dial when you lift it, it needs to be cleaned.

The rewind crank can be screwed back on, but first you need to get your film out. If you want to save the film and develop it, you will need a dark room or changing bag or some other completely dark space for opening the camera and removing the film. Use a piece of stiff wire and bend the tip of it (just 1/8th inch or so) at a right angle. Insert this into the hole where the crank came out, hook it into the inside of the hole, and pull. It should unlatch the back of the camera. Remove the film cartridge and use your fingers to turn its spool to wind the film back into its cannister (leave a bit of the leader outside of the can if you're going to develop it yourself). If the take-up spool in the camera won't let the film go, push the button on the bottom of the camera to release it. Then you should be able to freely pull out the film. Finally, put the forked prong back into its hole in the film compartment and screw the crank back on. The normal process is to push the bottom button (called the "rewind button") first, then turn the crank to rewind. At the end, pull the crank out to release the back of the camera.
06-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I believe you forgot to puch the "clutch" button at the bottom of the camera that allows ytou to rewind the film easily.
Now, that can be fixed quite easily but you may lose all your pictures.

06-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Ah the charms of 35m roll film... Your camera may be broken but it's worth trying to save your earlier captures.
If you have a camera repair place near you, they should be able to retrieve your film for you without sacrificing the roll. They may even do it for free.

Steve