Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Nooooo

My local costco finally stopped processing film! Last week it seems. I've been going there for a few years. They said the other one in Culver City still processes with the caveat "we don't know for how long". Well at least they have the hot dogs!

06-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, a couple weeks ago my local Walgreens also stopped processing film.
06-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

those hot dogs are tasty!
06-24-2015, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Nooooo

Just came back from the Culver City Costco. They're stopping in a couple of weeks as well. This is a sad day. I don't know if the hot dogs will taste the same!

06-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh well, time to put in a really low ball offer to buy their kit, and set yourself up as the new kid in town

---------- Post added 06-24-15 at 11:43 PM ----------

(That's how my local developers got started, and now they're one of the best in the UK)
06-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are still places in LA that will develop film. I was fortunate to live a few blocks from Freestyle for many years. Since I moved to Florida, I now realize how nice a resource I had.
06-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
There are still places in LA that will develop film. I was fortunate to live a few blocks from Freestyle for many years. Since I moved to Florida, I now realize how nice a resource I had.

Oh I try to stop by freestyle once a month and living in LA does give me a lot of choices. I'm mostly moaning over the loss of convenience than anything else. The loss of easy processing worries me because it's harder to get new people into film. I have quite a few cameras on "extended loan" with a few rolls of film for them to try out and all I had to say was take it to Costco!

06-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

I was just over there to get some passport photos - and a hot dog! The end of a era for sure - they did a decent job processing film and kept the chemicals fresh.

There was an interview a few years ago in the Costco magazine with the founder/CEO or whatever he is. He mentioned the that price of the hot dogs and drink has remained the same since they started selling them and would always be the same ($1.50 + tax).
06-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As places that develop film have dwindled I have switched to developing my own C41. It takes quite a bit of time but I do it in large batches. Also as they dwindled the cost increased. For me developing only (no printing) went from $3.25 to $4.00 to $5 now it's nearly $7 but with developing my own the cost (excluding my time) is under $2