Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2015, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I received the camera with the manual an my understanding was that in aperture priority I should have seen the f stop, in manual it works as it should, I haven't tested it with the flash. The camera also came with another A 50 mm f1.7 with working aperture but with a P-L filter permanently screwed in (the Smart Owner destroyed the thread).

Here there are two pics of the 1983 Camera of the Year:

Badass, isn't it? A pity that it doesn't work properly...

08-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I received the camera with the manual an my understanding was that in aperture priority I should have seen the f stop, in manual it works as it should, I haven't tested it with the flash. The camera also came with another A 50 mm f1.7 with working aperture but with a P-L filter permanently screwed in (the Smart Owner destroyed the thread).

Here there are two pics of the 1983 Camera of the Year:

Badass, isn't it? A pity that it doesn't work properly...
Very nice looks just like mine, see my review I just posted. Add the s/n to the DB so we can compare the range for this Super A special addition. (Yours will be the third)

I see your strap has the rusted rivets like mine, I cleaned them and painted them black with a metal paint, so it now looks like it did in 1983!

Phil.
08-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The serial number of mine is 1344267, the lens is 1672269.

Besides the above problems the camera seems in working conditions, tomorrow I'll load it with Portra or Agfa Precisa and I'll test it, probably with the 1.4 because the 1.7 has the polar filter problem and the camera handles better with the bigger lens, plus MO the A 50mm 1.7 is a shitty lens, not that the 1.4 is well put together (mine has a focus play) but really in terms of quality every comparison with the Takumars or K lenses in embarrassing.
08-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The serial number of mine is 1344267
Thanks, so we have s/n range of 127xxxx to 134xxxx for the Super A "1983 ECOTY" edition.

Phil.

08-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the results of the test roll I shot and the camera is officially approved for standard use, the lens no due to the fact the polarising filter is fit inside, so I used my battered A 50 mm f1.4.

Shot more or less in all modes besides Flash TTL, regarding the sharpness of the A 50/1.4 I didn't have doubts, and I'm pleased by the pics, the size and handling on the camera. I'll complete my review that won't be as flattering as GoFour...however here there are same pics:

AE priority, F1,4

I think this was a program shot, the girls in the shade came out completely underexposed.

Bokeh in low light, AE priority full open, despite of the bright finder sometimes I find difficulties to focus in low light, this time I focused the butt of the horse, not the head.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 08-10-2015 at 04:00 PM.
08-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received the camera with the manual an my understanding was that in aperture priority I should have seen the f stop
Nope...as mentioned above, the aperture only displays in shutter-priority and P modes. The reason is pretty simple when you think about it. When the aperture ring is off the "A" position, the "A" contact goes low. At that point the contact data is ignored and all the camera knows is the voltage through the meter circuit, the value of which is determined by a variable strip-resistor driven by the aperture ring movement.* The only way for the body to display the aperture is if the body sets the aperture.

Steve

* Not that it makes any difference. The contacts on the lens base only communicate the maximum aperture and number of stops in the aperture range, not the current setting.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-10-2015 at 04:39 PM.