Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

SFXn autofocus not working

Hi,

I recently bought an SFXn film camera and it looks in good condition, everything seems to work except the autofocus. The motor doesn't move (no sound, nothing) and there isn't even any focus confirmation beep or icon in the viewfinder or on the screen, even manually focusing. The whole thing seems to be inactive.

I've checked it's on (switch at front left, as normal) and everything else I can think of. Has anyone seen this problem or can anyone suggest where the problem might be and how it might be fixed?

If not, I think the camera should be perfectly useable as a manual focus one. The 1/4000th of a second shutter speed will be handy regardless of AF.

Thanks

08-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the clutch on the lens (if any) set to AF, and are the batteries fresh?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There's no lens clutch (have tried a couple of lenses) and the batteries are fine.
08-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF/MF switch could be corroded from non-use. Exercise it a few dozen times and see if that wakes it up. Also, clean the contacts between the camera and lens.

Do you feel any resistance when manually focusing an AF lens with the camera set to AF? You should feel and hear the gears and motor turning when you turn the focusing ring.

08-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The AF screw does go in and out with the switch and the gears & motor are forced if I turn the focusing ring, so the mechanism is being engaged.

It's as if the whole AF system is just de-activated.