Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Pentax ME shutter won't cock/release

I have a Pentax ME, worked fine, I've shot at least 5 rolls of film on it with no big issues. I took a break from using it for a while (2 months) and now when I tried to use it again, the shutter won't cock or release. The film is winding properly, the exposure counter is working fine, but when I depress the shutter release button, nothing happens.

I don't have the tools or space or skill right now to fix anything super complicated. Can anyone help me trouble shoot?

08-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I havent used an ME for some time but I know the shutter wont fire if the batteries are flat, but you say its winding the film so it sounds more like a mechanical problem, is the mirror moving up and down at all.
08-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple of years ago, there have been multiple threads about this issue, and also a way to fix it, or at least to try it.
It is about the same issue for the ME, ME Super, Super A, Program A, P30, and P50.

As far as I remember, there is a mechanical hook which does not properly lock anymore, caused by either dirt/old lubricant, or wear, or a combination of both.
I think it can be seen after removing the bottom plate, but access seems not to be so easy. So it's a classical case for CLA.

One of my ME Supers shows the same problem. With this, I can cure it by heavily, near to destructively working with the cocking/transport lever. But with this body, the problem always returns if cocking and releasing is no done several times a day.

@Ray-uk
If the mirror is not stuck in the up position (which would be quite another problem), there is no way to test the mirror function.
Mirror movement is done mechanically only, the energy for it comes from cocking. No cocking --> no mirror movement.
Only with later AF models mirror movement is done by an electrical motor.

EDT:
Found one of the old threads. There you will also find more links.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/236675-me-su...ml#post2506926

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-14-2015 at 01:26 PM.
08-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
I havent used an ME for some time but I know the shutter wont fire if the batteries are flat, but you say its winding the film so it sounds more like a mechanical problem, is the mirror moving up and down at all.
No, the mirror is not moving. And this is what the film transport coupler looks likehttp://imgur.com/siSiCns

08-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Couple of years ago, there have been multiple threads about this issue, and also a way to fix it, or at least to try it.
It is about the same issue for the ME, ME Super, Super A, Program A, P30, and P50.

As far as I remember, there is a mechanical hook which does not properly lock anymore, caused by either dirt/old lubricant, or wear, or a combination of both.
I think it can be seen after removing the bottom plate, but access seems not to be so easy. So it's a classical case for CLA.

One of my ME Supers shows the same problem. With this, I can cure it by heavily, near to destructively working with the cocking/transport lever. But with this body, the problem always returns if cocking and releasing is no done several times a day.

@Ray-uk
If the mirror is not stuck in the up position (which would be quite another problem), there is no way to test the mirror function.
Mirror movement is done mechanically only, the energy for it comes from cocking. No cocking --> no mirror movement.
Only with later AF models mirror movement is done by an electrical motor.

EDT:
Found one of the old threads. There you will also find more links.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/236675-me-su...ml#post2506926
This is what the film transport coupler looks like. It looks like something might be broken
Imgur
08-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Coupler looks pretty normal from what I remember.

IF the mirror is stuck up an old trick which works every so often is to thump the base of the camera onto your hand. It can sometimes shock it into working right.
can also make matters worse, so it's really up to you.
09-10-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
I havent used an ME for some time but I know the shutter wont fire if the batteries are flat
I thought the ME's flash sync (1/100s) was supposed to be a backup for if the batteries died, enabling limited manual usage.