Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry I wasn't as clear as I meant to be The comment about a Pro-level 35mm body was meant to be for the entire reply but the last sentence could be misread as any shutter not just a pro body one. Sorry if that was unclear. I meant that 1/250th didn't arrive in a top of the line body (unless I am mistaken) until the 1990's.
The 1988 Nikon F4 and the 1989 Canon EOS 1 both have 1/250 sync speed.

08-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The 1988 Nikon F4 and the 1989 Canon EOS 1 both have 1/250 sync speed.
Whoops. 8 years then not 10! I had looked up the history of the 1/250th sync and gotten the EOS 1 dates wrong. The F4 was totally missed.

Thanks. Still stand by the point originally made the LX came out too early for the 1/250th synch. 8 years not 10 but still essentially the same problem.
08-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Whoops. 8 years then not 10! I had looked up the history of the 1/250th sync and gotten the EOS 1 dates wrong. The F4 was totally missed.

Thanks. Still stand by the point originally made the LX came out too early for the 1/250th synch. 8 years not 10 but still essentially the same problem.
In your research into the 1/250th sync speed, did you also encounter leaf shutter technology? Due to the way the shutter operates, they will sync up to the top speed of the camera. I understand they have been around since the 50s but used in a very limited number of 35mm and mostly used in larger formats. I encountered it in my first DSLR - the Olympus E-10 and it's sync speed was up to it's top shutter speed of 1/640. The shortcoming of leaf shutters is their top speeds have been very low and I believe that 1/1000 was the fastest attained.
08-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In your research into the 1/250th sync speed, did you also encounter leaf shutter technology? Due to the way the shutter operates, they will sync up to the top speed of the camera. I understand they have been around since the 50s but used in a very limited number of 35mm and mostly used in larger formats. I encountered it in my first DSLR - the Olympus E-10 and it's sync speed was up to it's top shutter speed of 1/640. The shortcoming of leaf shutters is their top speeds have been very low and I believe that 1/1000 was the fastest attained.
True enough - I mainly limited myself to focal plan shutters and the one electronic ccd based Canon that was 1/500th. Leaf shutters typically have been in lenses more than bodies and are fantastic for flash synch speeds as you point out.

08-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I believe I confirmed this previously that when using the AF280T in manual mode and the LX in aperture priority mode that the flash will fire using the settings on the flash. Of course determining the amount of fill will have to be manually calculated - or metered with a flash meter. Is that how it works with your AF540FGZ+LX combination?
Right, I can confirm that if the LX meter determines the shutter speed to be 1/30 or slower the flash will fire. To determine this I pointed the LX towards the ceiling lamp at f/1.8, resulting in an auto shutter speed of 1/250. The flash did not fire. I then brought it up to f/11 resulting in 1/30, whereupon the flash did fire. At 1/125 and 1/60 the flash did not fire. This was all done using the flash at P-TTL and 35mm mode.

The flash did seem very bright at 1/30, so I'm thinking lowering its intensity to -1 or -2 would result in decent fill flash. I'll try it out next time I load it up.

BTW, I have two LX's that are completely functional with no issues. Of course when buying used, there is no accounting for previous use and not indicative of build.
Yep, mine had its mirror dampener pads removed at some point before I got it. Fortunately Jon Goodman replaced 'em for me along with the rest of the seals. Works great now!
08-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #21

I have used my LX since 2 years after it was introduced and later, purchased a Pentax AF-200T and AF-280T flash units and I have used set on TTL with bounce flash with the AF-280T and it worked nicely (just consider bouncing from a ceiling that's not to high or a wall not too far). I'm still thinking on getting an AF-540FGZ unit to share with my other Pentax DSLR, but will probably wait until the dust clears from the most recent 'market correction' (that's how they call 1929 kind of events nowadays ... [come on, guys: smile]). Meanwhile, I'll be using the 2 dedicated auto modes for my DSLR and the TTL mode on my LX.