Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Keeping exposed film for a year?

I'm starting a little photo project today. Some variation of this has been done many times, but I'll be using one camera/lens combo and one type of film to do one photo per day, every day for a year.

The kit will be my late father's K1000 (CLA'd by Eric last year) with an M 50/1.7. I'll be shooting Tri-X.

I don't do my own developing, so I'll be sending the film out.

I'm kind of thinking I want to shoot for a year, and then see the results all at once - kind of a year-in-review.

Questions: will exposed Tri-X be okay after close to a year? (Less than that, of course, for the later rolls.)

Or, if I send a roll out for processing and printing as soon as it's completed, could I leave the prints stacked together in the envelope without damage for close to a year? I plan to print every frame, good bad or indifferent, just because.

The idea is to not see any of the results until the project is complete.

Thoughts? Ideas?

(FWIW, normal shooting/processing/culling will continue normally with other cameras and films for the year.)

09-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, the exposed film it will store for a year. Store it sealed up in your refrigerator.
09-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, no problem
Specially with TriX, you can keep it for a couple of years undeveloped.
09-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I thought it would, but I wanted a little confirmation.

09-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep, will be fine as long as kept away from the usual film killing things like heat, humidity, etc.

I've still got some exposed rolls in the fridge from a year ago, and one from at least 25 years ago (was in a camera i got)
09-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not knowing any better then, I have exposed various color films in extreme conditions - extreme temperatures and humidity over very long periods of time, and have seen any issues as a result. B&W film will probably be even more tolerant. Of course now I know that the publications for these films state, "High temperatures or high humidity may produce unwanted quality changes. Store unexposed film at 24°C (75°F) or lower in the original sealed package. Always store film (exposed or unexposed) in a cool, dry place. For best results, process film as soon as possible after exposure."
See Storage and Care of KODAK Photographic Materials Before and After Processing

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-02-2015 at 10:27 AM.
09-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
After my dad died, we were going through his stuff and found two exposed rolls of film. One was ( I think) Tri-X, and the other was some Kodak color film. I sent them off, just because.

The color film didn't turn out at all. The Tri-X turned out to be a roll I had shot of a high school basketball game my senior year, 28 years earlier. The pictures looked overexposed, but that could have just easily been my fault as the intervening years. Kind of a cool find, though.