Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Japan and Korea are my favorite places to buy gear from. Never had any issues with any of them and shipping tends to be just as fast from both places, even when is "free" shipping (well by free I mean the seller includes the shipping fees in the price ).
Check the negative feedback, but also take them with a grain of salt. Some customers tend to be very difficult...

09-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you use common sense when purchasing from international sellers, you'll be fine. Generally you're likely to have the same experience buying from an international seller versus a local or domestic one. I've gotten some good deals on eBay from international sellers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
(FTR, I'm not picking on Japan here. My question applies equally to Denmark, Botswana, or wherever.
I've never managed to find a decent deal in Botswana, though. :P
09-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've only taken the gamble a few times, but was very pleased. see this post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/298381-i-ma...der-again.html

As others have said, it's easier to embark on this journey when there's a bargain to be had or the potential loss is not back (actually, wallet) breaking.
09-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Check the negative feedback, but also take them with a grain of salt. Some customers tend to be very difficult...
It's also worthwhile to look at the feedback counts of the customers giving negatives - they frequently are very low, which either means they are really new to online auctions, or they are someone who hops accounts whenever they get negative feedback themselves. Ever since hearing a coworker brag about getting out of paying for an auction because of a "medical emergency" (the emergency was: she had won another auction for a similar item at a better price), I've had a bit more sympathy for sellers.

09-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
as many others have said - I've had very good experiences with international purchases (only problem is the odd time that customs wants me to pay duty - so a little gamble there)
great service and good quality merchandise from Japan (bought my K50 f1.2 there) picked up several items from the UK, lots from the US, and recently an item from Turkey.
For small items I don't sweat it (as long as the price is right) - bigger purchases I spend more time checking the feedback etc...
09-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I have bought a few Pentax items specifically from Japan over the last year. Perfect experience each time.
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I have bought two bodies, 2 lens and a Pentax flash unit. Every item was mint. If I did not know they were used I would never have believed it. I have found that they are very accurate in describing their items and have come to prefer buying from Japan if I am buying used.
I very much agree with these two posts. Over the last couple of years I bought a fair number of items and almost every time was more than pleased by the condition which seemed better than description. I believe in general the Japan EMS standards are much better than any other source I`ve received from. Almost without exception the individual sellers I buy from have handled their end with integrity and wonderful attention to detail in packaging. A number of times now I get a package so well sealed they`re likely airtight, waterproof, and maybe bombproof. Items are completely protected and I don`t mind having trouble opening them. Never see anything like it from anyplace else.
09-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I bought my Q 08 lens from a Japanese seller on Amazon. Everything went fine and the lens is top notch. The risks for purchases like this are damage during shipment and returns/exchanges. If the article is packed well then it ought to survive being bounced around. Goods purchased from B&H or Adorama are shipped internationally and they get bounced around too yet they survive. However, if you need to return something then you deal with a US based seller rather than an international one. The process may be quicker when dealing with a US seller. Shipping something back to New York may be cheaper, faster, and easier than shipping something to Japan.

Buying internationally is a bit of a risk. I think the sellers understand this and they price their products accordingly. Buying local mitigates some risk and local sellers understand this has some worth too. Their prices are set accordingly as well.

09-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #23

Original Poster
I'm glad to hear of all the success stories. I'm looking at a couple of lenses from Japan. Maybe I'll soon be able to add my own tale of a successful transaction.
09-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #24
Forum Member

I picked up half of an oddball Pentax ring flash in a deal earlier this year and tracked down the missing other half on a Japanese website. It was a total long shot gamble and it paid off. Transaction costs were double what I planned, but well within the range of what I could afford. The Japanese seem to be total pros. I'd definitely do another purchase the same way.
09-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #25
Forum Member

I've read about concerns about buying old gear from Japan because it's such a humid county. But can it be much more humid than southeast Texas where I live???