Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
They are the same eyes that i had when I started taking photos in 1970

You may have some mystical relationship with film but for me it has had its day,
I have the same relationship I have with my Les Paul, some people might say it had its day too, at least looking at today's charts.

P.S. have a look at Erik's pics from the 70s:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137684

And compare them with the digital galleries on this board.

09-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
The pictures posted in some of the threads here (not mine, let's talk about Colton or other gifted shooters) proves you're wrong.

I took a look at yours: they're ugly as hell, sterile...digital in short.

Pictures taken through the eyes of a replicant.
All because I don't like using film
I used it for 25 years and that's enough for anybody.
09-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #93
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That's the catch. With film most people take way fewer pictures and end up with the same amount of keepers, in general. My Fuji GSW690 only has 8 frames per 120 roll of film yet I end up with just as many keepers as my digital shooting ten-times the amount. It weird and hard to explain but that's what happens with years of experience with film. When I shoot digital, I snap away and ask questions later. I definitely get lazy because the medium supports it so easily.

So that's why you really can't equate the cost of film to your digital shooting habits in general. My film expense throughout the year is beer money since I develop and scan my own and that's what a person has to do today if they want to keep costs down. And of course that's not for everyone's taste which is understandable. But I can take pictures today and post them tonight with film because I'm all setup for it, FYI.
The thing is pretty much all of mine are keepers. I simply like to take a bunch of them.

---------- Post added 09-29-15 at 01:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Look, you're the one full of BS here.

Nobody invited on this board and to be honest I think nobody cares about your "opinions" on the matter....this is a thread that was open to discuss about something else, and you're derailing it bringing it OT, in short you're a troll.

Now you can return to do your digital processing.
Your opinion means nothing. You are full of BS. You are invited to leave.

boriscleto'd
09-29-2015, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love these contests to see who can spit furthest. I like film. I like 60's British sports cars wedded to small block American V-8's. I like books - I have thousands of them - preferably leather bound. I like Persian rugs that you take outside and whack the dust out of. I like hand tools for cabinetmaking. I like writing letters.

I could go on but I need to go in to a face-to-face meeting.

09-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #95
Site Supporter

I have no problem with a differing opinion about things that people like, but when they start being insulting about ti then it's time for me to move on.
09-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I have no problem with a differing opinion about things that people like, but when they start being insulting about ti then it's time for me to move on.
Then why have you not? I think your opinions are legitimate, but you've framed them here on this thread as "right" while others are "wrong". (and I realize others have too, but your opinion is the voice of dissent to the idea of the entire thread, so... ) It's no wonder this has spun out the way it has, but it certainly did not need to. This was a thread about (title) "Hypothetical - If Pentax Brought out a 35mm film SLR today..." Your re-entry into this thread stated the same thing you said initially, just in a more confrontational way that steered us toward the (ever so lovely) digi-vs-film b.s. once again. There's really no good reason to, twice, say essentially "this hypothetical is stupid because film sucks". Once, sure. Not twice.

I love that you love digital - truly - but there is no reason to look for a fight about it. Just love it.
09-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Then why have you not? I think your opinions are legitimate, but you've framed them here on this thread as "right" while others are "wrong". (and I realize others have too, but your opinion is the voice of dissent to the idea of the entire thread, so... ) It's no wonder this has spun out the way it has, but it certainly did not need to. This was a thread about (title) "Hypothetical - If Pentax Brought out a 35mm film SLR today..." Your re-entry into this thread stated the same thing you said initially, just in a more confrontational way that steered us toward the (ever so lovely) digi-vs-film b.s. once again. There's really no good reason to, twice, say essentially "this hypothetical is stupid because film sucks". Once, sure. Not twice.

I love that you love digital - truly - but there is no reason to look for a fight about it. Just love it.
I didn't say it was stupid, but that it will not work for me and how I do my photography. There's a place for it, but not with me.

09-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I didn't say it was stupid, but that it will not work for me and how I do my photography. There's a place for it, but not with me.
Yes, in a number of ways, a number of times. And by that same token, other than to simply play devil's advocate, there's not a place for stating that ad nauseam in a thread that assumes (or at least alludes to) the opposite. It's just seeking conflict.
If I wandered into a Canon sub-forum about their hypothetical musings for upcoming products and stated that Canon didn't work for me for reasons A, B and C, and that I was selling all my Canon gear for those reasons, then repeated the same in a different way.... Well, the outcome isn't hard to imagine.
09-29-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

Well, I get good results with my film. I think the people who denounce it the most never were good with it; hence, digital enables their photography. I have 3 different FF digital cameras I can reach for but yet I still reach for my film cameras. For some reason I still like to shoot REAL BW. It's great to have a different look and feel in pictures in a sea full of Sony senors swimming around.
09-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 which was my point. I also like the efficiency of digital and computer-optimized fuel injection and the internet and the ShopMate when I choose them over analog life.
09-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #101
Veteran Member

I like the calculator and weather app on my phone. But when I really want to slow down and enjoy addition and forecasting, I reach for my abacus and walk out to the weather vane with my almanac.
09-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yes, in a number of ways, a number of times. And by that same token, other than to simply play devil's advocate, there's not a place for stating that ad nauseam in a thread that assumes (or at least alludes to) the opposite. It's just seeking conflict.
If I wandered into a Canon sub-forum about their hypothetical musings for upcoming products and stated that Canon didn't work for me for reasons A, B and C, and that I was selling all my Canon gear for those reasons, then repeated the same in a different way.... Well, the outcome isn't hard to imagine.

Ironic given the name voiceofreason . . .

---------- Post added 09-29-15 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, I get good results with my film. I think the people who denounce it the most never were good with it; hence, digital enables their photography. I have 3 different FF digital cameras I can reach for but yet I still reach for my film cameras. For some reason I still like to shoot REAL BW. It's great to have a different look and feel in pictures in a sea full of Sony senors swimming around.

It is likely some people may have it in their mind that we don't have that option . . .
09-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

It is likely some people may have it in their mind that we don't have that option . . .
And worse, for some it seems it can ONLY be one medium or the other and not both. Who says you can't shoot both? Weird.
09-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If they are using film then I like them already . . .
Here in Portland, if a hipster does photography beyond their phone, it will be with film and not necessarily a Holga.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2015 at 05:50 PM.
09-29-2015, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
An update to my last post:

Rangefinderforum.com - View Single Post - All Voigtlander Film Cameras Sadly Discontinued

Oh well, there goes the possibility of a new film Pentax...

Chris

This truly sad, though I am glad I came across this thread. I have been on the fence for six years or so regarding a Bessa RF and now I bit the bullet. One R3M headed my way...Now I have to find a deal on a M-mount 35mm lens.

Steve