Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

This truly sad, though I am glad I came across this thread. I have been on the fence for six years or so regarding a Bessa RF and now I bit the bullet. One R3M headed my way...Now I have to find a deal on a M-mount 35mm lens.

Steve
I am about to do *precisely* the same thing.

---------- Post added 09-29-15 at 04:46 PM ----------

Where did you purchase from, Steve?

09-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #107
Veteran Member

This truly sad, though I am glad I came across this thread. I have been on the fence for six years or so regarding a Bessa RF and now I bit the bullet. One R3M headed my way...Now I have to find a deal on a M-mount 35mm lens.

Steve
Congrats Steve. Out of curiosity, why did you choose the R3M over the R2M? Is the R2M not available new?
You can also get a L39-M adapter and shoot with your FSU glass.
09-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #108
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yes, in a number of ways, a number of times. And by that same token, other than to simply play devil's advocate, there's not a place for stating that ad nauseam in a thread that assumes (or at least alludes to) the opposite. It's just seeking conflict.
If I wandered into a Canon sub-forum about their hypothetical musings for upcoming products and stated that Canon didn't work for me for reasons A, B and C, and that I was selling all my Canon gear for those reasons, then repeated the same in a different way.... Well, the outcome isn't hard to imagine.
I only posted in this thread to begin with because it was over in the sidebar where the new threads are, then I get subscription notices. To be honest I don't pay attention to the subforums unless I am making an initial topic.
09-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Congrats Steve. Out of curiosity, why did you choose the R3M over the R2M? Is the R2M not available new?
I was leaning that direction as well, based simply on my love of 1:1 viewfinder shooting.

09-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #110
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Where did you purchase from, Steve?
Cameraquest.com they threw in free 2nd-day shipping and a case for a dollar over B&H. Now I need to find a deal on a VC Skopar 35/3.5.

Steve
09-29-2015, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I only posted in this thread to begin with because it was over in the sidebar where the new threads are, then I get subscription notices. To be honest I don't pay attention to the subforums unless I am making an initial topic.
I doesn't particularly matter *where* you linked from... Your multiple why-digital-is-better-and-you're-wrong comments turned and otherwise fun thread into an off-topic (very, very tired) argument about "film vs digital". It did border on an under-bridge-dwelling-creature. Cuthbert went a bit over the line (he's a passionate guy) but you went right along with him into a debate that can be had elsewhere... and has... many times... many, many times. Again, you're entitled to love digital photography and processing - I and many film-lovers do as well... but please don't act, here and elsewhere, like you've been abused and blindsided in this thread when you were complicit in the outcome. Just sayin. Ya poked a bear in the den. It's just a forum, y'all.
09-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
My choice was driven by the 100% viewfinder as well as the 37mm effective rangefinder base length (EBL) on the R3M. The shortest focal length I anticipate using in the camera is 35mm and while the R3 cameras lack frame lines for such the edge of the viewfinder is a good approximation. To be honest, the short rangefinder base has been the sticking point for purchase with me* and the 37mm is just a little less than my Canon P and Zorki-4K at 41mm.

Using adapted screw mount lenses intrigues me, though to be honest Contax-to-Leica-M intrigues me more. My Contax/Kiev mount FSU lenses are generally better than the LTM versions.

Cameraquest has R2A and R2M bodies still listed on their FOR SALE page, but I don't see them in the store itself. I believe they have been out of production for a couple years and are hard to find new.

Steve

* I have been spoiled by the long rangefinder base on my Kiev 4 and FED-2 cameras. I missed buying a Zeiss Ikon kit by a day when they were at close-out prices a few years back and still kick myself that I hesitated a bit too long. IIRC, the price was about $1300 with 35/2.8.

09-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #113
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I doesn't particularly matter *where* you linked from... Your multiple why-digital-is-better-and-you're-wrong comments turned and otherwise fun thread into an off-topic (very, very tired) argument about "film vs digital". It did border on an under-bridge-dwelling-creature. Cuthbert went a bit over the line (he's a passionate guy) but you went right along with him into a debate that can be had elsewhere... and has... many times... many, many times. Again, you're entitled to love digital photography and processing - I and many film-lovers do as well... but please don't act, here and elsewhere, like you've been abused and blindsided in this thread when you were complicit in the outcome. Just sayin. Ya poked a bear in the den. It's just a forum, y'all.
I gave my reasons why as they pertain to me. I really tried to like film. I gave it an honest try. I suppose I will go ahead and unsubscribe from this thread, just bow out and move along.
09-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #114
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I figured that is probably what happened. Bad stuff all round and and strong reactions...sorry that a negative exchange occurred. You probably are generally aware that it is bad form to dis film photography in a section of the site devoted to that medium. It does come across as provocative trolling, particularly to those folk who hang out here and use film almost exclusively and who also do some very credible work in the medium. Knowing that you were probably not aware softens things a little.

Steve
09-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #115
Veteran Member

I figured that is probably what happened. Bad stuff all round and and strong reactions...sorry that a negative exchange occurred. You probably are generally aware that it is bad form to dis film photography in a section of the site devoted to that medium. It does come across as provocative trolling, particularly to those folk who hang out here and use film almost exclusively and who also do some very credible work in the medium. Knowing that you were probably not aware softens things a little.

Steve
Hear hear.

---------- Post added 09-29-15 at 07:25 PM ----------

My choice was driven by the 100% viewfinder as well as the 37mm effective rangefinder base length (EBL) on the R3M. The shortest focal length I anticipate using in the camera is 35mm and while the R3 cameras lack frame lines for such the edge of the viewfinder is a good approximation. To be honest, the short rangefinder base has been the sticking point for purchase with me* and the 37mm is just a little less than my Canon P and Zorki-4K at 41mm.

Using adapted screw mount lenses intrigues me, though to be honest Contax-to-Leica-M intrigues me more. My Contax/Kiev mount FSU lenses are generally better than the LTM versions.

Cameraquest has R2A and R2M bodies still listed on their FOR SALE page, but I don't see them in the store itself. I believe they have been out of production for a couple years and are hard to find new.

Steve

* I have been spoiled by the long rangefinder base on my Kiev 4 and FED-2 cameras. I missed buying a Zeiss Ikon kit by a day when they were at close-out prices a few years back and still kick myself that I hesitated a bit too long. IIRC, the price was about $1300 with 35/2.8.
Not to give you any remorse (and you may well be aware of this model, though I certainly was *not*).... did you see this? I'm almost tempted, given my very positive recent Kiev/Helios experience!
New Voigtlander Bessa R2C wth 21 4 Lens Zeiss Contax Rangefinder | eBay
09-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Likely no longer in production, but still listed by Nikon and Vivitar due to remaining inventory.

Chris
Likely is panic word the announcement was rangefinder no sign of similar SLR...

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 06:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes probably they haven't made the F6 for many years now.
They are still making them to order with a backlog on delivery...
09-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #117
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not to give you any remorse (and you may well be aware of this model, though I certainly was *not*).... did you see this? I'm almost tempted, given my very positive recent Kiev/Helios experience!
New Voigtlander Bessa R2C wth 21 4 Lens Zeiss Contax Rangefinder | eBay
That eBay listing is Steve Gandy at Cameraquest. The R2C is a cool camera and great with short to normal glass. He sells it body only for the $799, the same price as the other Bessas. The rangefinder base is the same as the R2M and limits the usefulness with fast normal or longer glass.

https://cameraquest.com/voigt_r2s_r2c.htm

Steve
09-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #118
Veteran Member

That eBay listing is Steve Gandy at Cameraquest. The R2C is a cool camera and great with short to normal glass. He sells it body only for the $799, the same price as the other Bessas. The rangefinder base is the same as the R2M and limits the usefulness with fast normal or longer glass.

https://cameraquest.com/voigt_r2s_r2c.htm

Steve
The only problem with that is lots of us are happy with our Leica M2/M3, Canon P, and K1000, and don't want a new camera even if it is a similar rugged little beast.
It will not be Cosina did not want to make another batch but that Stephen Gandy was selling them too slowly.
Pro rangefinders were never mass market.
If 500 people send their plastic number to Stephen...
09-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You probably are generally aware that it is bad form to dis film photography in a section of the site devoted to that medium.
I don't take it that way. My original question (paraphrasing myself somewhat) was "If Pentax brought out a new film body now, would you consider it?" I found Voice of Reason's opinion quite acceptable - it wasn't just "No, because film sucks"; it was "No, because I've used both and digital suits me so much better for all the following reasons and I just can't go back to something that doesn't suit my needs as well." That's hardly dissing film. And given that others have gone into great detail as to the trouble that reopening a production line for Pentax film cameras would entail, I think "dissing film" in the objective way VOR did it is hardly a hanging offence IMO.
10-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
The only problem with that is lots of us are happy with our Leica M2/M3, Canon P, and K1000, and don't want a new camera even if it is a similar rugged little beast.
It will not be Cosina did not want to make another batch but that Stephen Gandy was selling them too slowly.
Pro rangefinders were never mass market.
If 500 people send their plastic number to Stephen...
I really like my Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R camera. It's a modern well-designed no-nonsense picture taker.

Cameraquest is a seller with limited reach in what is unquestionably a boutique market.
But I can't help thinking what might have been had these cameras become as popular as 35mm SLRs did in the 1970's...

Chris