Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

"Reasonably priced" M-mount lenses are the challenge...

I am tempted to pick up an R3M with matching 40mm f/1.4. I love that focal length (43mm Limited for example) and 1.4 is fast. But the lens+camera is a LOT of money. And it's one of the cheapest options in the M mount world.

10-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #122
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
"Reasonably priced" M-mount lenses are the challenge...

I am tempted to pick up an R3M with matching 40mm f/1.4. I love that focal length (43mm Limited for example) and 1.4 is fast. But the lens+camera is a LOT of money. And it's one of the cheapest options in the M mount world.
Even reasonably-priced LTM can be hard to come by. I took delivery of my R3M yesterday and a used Nokton 40/1.4 is due to be delivered tomorrow. The combined cost was about the same as a new K-3 with decent walk-around zoom. I can adapt some of my FSU rangefinder glass, but sadly the Jupiter-12 35/2.8 is not compatible due to its big rear element. I would love to have a Biogon 35/2 or 35/2.8, but $$$ even used. Voigtlander is a little easier to swallow, but still not cheap for their better stuff.

BTW...cameraquest has a lightly used R3M 250 Jahre Special Edition for $150 less that a new R3M.

Temptation...CLICK HERE!

Steve
10-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

BTW...cameraquest has a lightly used R3M 250 Jahre Special Edition for $150 less that a new R3M.

Temptation...CLICK HERE!

Steve
I had that one sitting in my cart for 2 straight days.
10-02-2015, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I clicked Steve's link and went over there . . .

And ran screaming from the room!

10-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Someone here might be interested in this:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/47994/title/pentax-smc-43mm-f19/cat/2

Pentax glass for your RF camera...

Chris
If I could properly use a rangefinder, I would likely end up with a Bessa R3A or Ziess Ikon ZM, and the Pentax 43mm L Special
10-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Rangefinder focusing isn't for everyone. That's a big reason SLR's became so much more popular.

I have thought about making an offer on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-Bessa-L-Rangefinder-Color-Skopar-25mm-F4-M39-Lens-/291579147232?hash=item43e378b3e0

I wonder if something like this might work for you...

Chris
I love rangefinder focusing, I can't lift the camera though

That link is basically how I've been using my Bessa R and CV Skopar 35/2.5
I just scale focus, Sunny 16 exposure, compose blind and shoot.
10-02-2015, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I just scale focus, Sunny 16 exposure, compose blind and shoot.
... and create images 99% of the rest of the world's shooters can't even approach.
(finished that for ya)

10-02-2015, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
... and create images 99% of the rest of the world's shooters can't even approach.
(finished that for ya)
+1

You have a great eye, Colton.

Chris
10-03-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1

You have a great eye, Colton.

Chris
+2

Phil
10-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #130
Forum Member

I believe that camera makers will never even try to make a new film camera because:

1) Nikon still makes (Cosina does actually) The super ultra overpriced fm10
2) Canon still makes the 1v and it is very very expensive.
3) Why would them make a professional camera if they know people know today we can get a used camera, like new, built like a tank, with lots of lenses (glass lenses) of incredible quality available like the Pentax LX, the Canon A-1, F-1, Nikon F3, Minolta XE-7, Olympus OM-1,2,3.4, for a lot less money we could spend on a new camera built to break in a year and plastic lenses...

I believe there is no reasone to ask for a new film camera... with the amount of used stuff we can find and the quality of the technicians we can still get today, there is no point.
10-03-2015, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

I sure wish there were at least few quality *younger* technicians. Maybe I should learn.
10-03-2015, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #132
Forum Member

I sure wish there were at least few quality *younger* technicians. Maybe I should learn.

I am learning from a very knowledgeable technician here in Colombia, he only has a certified course from Olympus in the 90's, however he has over 30 years experience and knows about a lot of different systems... On the other hand, there is a very known and well reputed technician in the USA whom I was thinking on asking for like an internship.. something like, I help him with everything related his work and the payment is his knowledge... that he passes on his wisdom related to cameras, specially mechanical... every time I have the opportunity to see an open camera I feel something really awesome... Those designers and engineers were incredible... the machinery is amazing, the craftsmanship on most of those 40's to early 80's cameras is something we have to preserve... no wonder you can still find and use plenty of cameras from those years, but go and try to find a good digital camera from 2000...
10-04-2015, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
I am learning from a very knowledgeable technician here in Colombia, he only has a certified course from Olympus in the 90's, however he has over 30 years experience and knows about a lot of different systems... On the other hand, there is a very known and well reputed technician in the USA whom I was thinking on asking for like an internship.. something like, I help him with everything related his work and the payment is his knowledge... that he passes on his wisdom related to cameras, specially mechanical... every time I have the opportunity to see an open camera I feel something really awesome... Those designers and engineers were incredible... the machinery is amazing, the craftsmanship on most of those 40's to early 80's cameras is something we have to preserve... no wonder you can still find and use plenty of cameras from those years, but go and try to find a good digital camera from 2000...
^ Yes. ^
Agreed. Modern designs are certainly not the same. Proof can be found in a lovely late model Minolta flash-meter of mine. Quite a bit of circuitry and only the incident meter works - the spot-meter functions do not simply because the plastic bits that the button makes contact with have broken. Just like everything new - plastic and micro-circuitry. Throw-away items, cheaper and easier to be replaced than repaired.

(On a side note, I'd love to visit Bogota. I intended to spend many months in Bogota and Medellin back in 2011 as I finished a 2-year slow round-the-world journey... but I ran out of money. Iwasn't able to save enough working in NZ and Aus like I'd hoped.)
10-04-2015, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Someone here might be interested in this:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/47994/title/pentax-smc-43mm-f19/cat/2

Pentax glass for your RF camera...

Chris
Now I am the one running screaming from the room

Actually, that is an excellent price for that lens based on optical quality alone and given the scarcity and uniqueness, a doubly excellent price.

Steve
10-04-2015, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #135
Forum Member

^ Yes. ^

(On a side note, I'd love to visit Bogota. I intended to spend many months in Bogota and Medellin back in 2011 as I finished a 2-year slow round-the-world journey... but I ran out of money. Iwasn't able to save enough working in NZ and Aus like I'd hoped.)
If you ever come by, please let me know through here, I will be more than glad to give you a nice welcoming tour through the city!