Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Proud new owner of a Spotmatic F!

Just received my Spotmatic f in the mail!

The condition is quite good! Most everything looks clean, and it even came with a spotmatic leather case (but you can't remove the top flap?). The viewfinder is bright and clear with only a little dust. The shutter mechanism sounds right at various speeds, though I have to compare it head to head with a working camera later. When I tried the self-timer the mirror got stuck open(!!), but operating the shutter again seemed to clear it and I can't make it happen again.

I will have to check the meter later as well, possibly with an SR44 1.55v since I've read that you can make them work. I have a proper battery on order, though it is an alkaline 1.5v...

Overall I'm really pleased with the look and feel compared to the Mamiya 500 DTL I already have. The viewfinder was my major complaint with the Mamiya, it was so dark! But with the SPF the difference is like night and day, literally! I can actually see what I'm shooting now!!!

Very pleased with my purchase of this body-only SPF for around $40 on ebay. The only problem is now I'm already lusting after a Takumar SMC lens like the 55mm 1.8 though since all I have are stop-down lenses...

09-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can remove the nose of the case, but you have to turn it 180 degrees as the stud is not really a stud but an halfmoon eyelit, so you open it, turn it and remove it.

Also, inside the nose there is a small compartment for a replacement battery, I always found an astute idea.
09-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Street42 Quote
Just received my Spotmatic f in the mail!
The Spotmatic F was was my first Pentax. Its a lovely camera. Only downside for me was that 2/3 weeks later they brought therir first offering using the K bayonet mount. I have never quite forgiven them for this!
09-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
You can remove the nose of the case, but you have to turn it 180 degrees as the stud is not really a stud but an halfmoon eyelit, so you open it, turn it and remove it.

Also, inside the nose there is a small compartment for a replacement battery, I always found an astute idea.
Thanks!! I love the little pocket for an extra battery! Very cool

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
The Spotmatic F was was my first Pentax. Its a lovely camera. Only downside for me was that 2/3 weeks later they brought therir first offering using the K bayonet mount. I have never quite forgiven them for this!
It is quite a lovely machine! I considered getting a bayonet mount body and adapter for the few lenses I already have, but something about the SPF was irresistible to me...

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 03:32 PM ----------

Hmmm, after triggering the shutter with repeated one-second shots, the mirror did eventually stick open one more time... I did see a video of someone adding a few micro-drops of lube to the internals inside the bottom-plate to remedy this type of behavior... wondering if I will need to do something similar to get it to always move freely...

I want to avoid sending it in for a proper CLA at the moment since my budget is very tight.

09-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes the extra battery probably because it is easy to accidentally drain the battery if you leave the lens cover off. It has open aperture metering.