Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad deal

The other day, Seattle Goodwill had two ME's up for bid. One had a M f/1.4 on it and I was outbid at the last moment. The second had a M f/1.7 on it and I ended up getting it for $32.31. Well, ok total cost should include shipping so $43.81. I figured I was taking a chance on getting a usable lens and maybe a halfway decent body. After all they say most of their stuff will need to be cleaned. I got it in the mail today and here's what was wrong with the camera. There are a couple of rough spots on the field case (which I didn't know was included), the Hoya 1B Skylight filter had smudges on it and there was some dirt under the rails on the side of the hot shoe. There is not a scratch on this camera other than a couple of very small ones on the bottom. It still has the plastic tape piece that came on the bottom, the neck strap with the metal clip fasteners and the rubber shoulder pad with the little nubs on the bottom that eat your shoulder. LOL I was going to "fix up" this camera for my sister-in-law. Now I'm not so sure.

I will now quit bragging.

CW

06-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
The other day, Seattle Goodwill had two ME's up for bid. One had a M f/1.4 on it and I was outbid at the last moment. The second had a M f/1.7 on it and I ended up getting it for $32.31. Well, ok total cost should include shipping so $43.81. I figured I was taking a chance on getting a usable lens and maybe a halfway decent body. After all they say most of their stuff will need to be cleaned. I got it in the mail today and here's what was wrong with the camera. There are a couple of rough spots on the field case (which I didn't know was included), the Hoya 1B Skylight filter had smudges on it and there was some dirt under the rails on the side of the hot shoe. There is not a scratch on this camera other than a couple of very small ones on the bottom. It still has the plastic tape piece that came on the bottom, the neck strap with the metal clip fasteners and the rubber shoulder pad with the little nubs on the bottom that eat your shoulder. LOL I was going to "fix up" this camera for my sister-in-law. Now I'm not so sure.

I will now quit bragging.

CW
I have to brag a little about the ME Super that I got on fleabay for $19.99. It only had a M 50mm f2 and the auction stated how beat up the case was so I wasn't expecting much. What I received was a pristine ME Super, nothing more than the slightest of scratches. Worked perfectly and I threw the beat up case away immediately.
06-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had luck with stuff from that era as well, it may be the sweet spot in depreciation vs. condition. Congrats both!

(I'd have bid on one of the ME's myself, only I seem to have picked up the KX the other day...)
06-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won an auction for a k1000 with a 50mm F/2, strap, case, etc. for $50. When it arrived, the lens front ring was bent and the manual focus was non-functional. the camera itself was fine except for a cigarette smoke odor.

So I informed the seller of my slight issue with the lens (damaged was not disclosed during auction), they offered my money back and refunded it immediately. I asked to confirm the address for return, they responded "just keep it".

So, I got a free perfectly functional k1000! and it doesn't smell like smoke anymore!

I have since located and purchased a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 lens for it.

I also got a pristine P30T w/Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 for $30 shipped.