Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need help with Pentax ME Super

Hi, I have a Pentax ME Super, and the mirror was locked up but I fixed that. But now, I have to wind the film advancer 7, 8 or even 9 times before it actually takes the picture. I really want to take pictures with this beautiful looking camera, but I don't want to waste 7, 8 or 9 exposures, too

10-19-2015, 05:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is the common failure #2 described here:
Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems

If you dare, ypu can fix it!
10-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have non-working ME Super that you may be able to use as a parts source that you can have for the price of shipping, may be worth it depending on where you are located.
10-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camerakid Quote
Hi, I have a Pentax ME Super, and the mirror was locked up but I fixed that. But now, I have to wind the film advancer 7, 8 or even 9 times before it actually takes the picture. I really want to take pictures with this beautiful looking camera, but I don't want to waste 7, 8 or 9 exposures, too
Do you mean you have to wind it several times to load the shutter so it will fire when you press the button? My ME Super needed two winds if it hadn't been used a few says. I opened bottom plate and noticed delicate springs and locking levers were slow in action. I gave a careful spray with carburetor cleaner to dissolve stickiness, and that cured the problem. If you hold the camera to your ear and slowly cock it, and hold the lever, you will hear the click of the lock eventually. It should of course be instant..

10-26-2015, 12:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Do you mean you have to wind it several times to load the shutter so it will fire when you press the button? My ME Super needed two winds if it hadn't been used a few says. I opened bottom plate and noticed delicate springs and locking levers were slow in action. I gave a careful spray with carburetor cleaner to dissolve stickiness, and that cured the problem. If you hold the camera to your ear and slowly cock it, and hold the lever, you will hear the click of the lock eventually. It should of course be instant..
Well, after maybe 3 days I have to wind it about 4-12 times, it used to be 7-9 times before I just decided to wind it a bunch of times, and take pictures whenever it was ready, and I was thinking about taking the bottom plate of and cleaning it, but I need to find the right screwdriver for those teeny-tiny screws, then I need to put them somewhere where the kitten won't play with them... i'll try spraying carbureter in there, I just have to find it

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 12:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
I have non-working ME Super that you may be able to use as a parts source that you can have for the price of shipping, may be worth it depending on where you are located.
I will try stuff on mine, but that's very helpful of you, thanks

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 12:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
It is the common failure #2 described here:
Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems

If you dare, ypu can fix it!
Thanks, just fixed the other stuck mirror it had (I guess hitting it on the sidewalk doesn't work always) all I did was push the shutter down lightly, and POOF, it comes down... accept the film advancer didn't get fixed, but that's a problem for Kurt's Camera Repair to fix...
10-27-2015, 02:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the same issue with my ME Super. I thought I'd have to send it away for repair, but thanks to you, Titrisol, I might try to fix it myself. Now, if I could just remember where I put the camera ...
08-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by camerakid Quote
Sorry how did you fixed the mirror locked up?

Im getting this problem in my fathers camera

08-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a really old ME-F that is doing the same thing (I have to cock the shutter several times before it will fire). I might have to look into taking the bottom plate off and doing the squirt of carb cleaner. I think my ME Super is starting to do the same thing as well.....rats.

Just realized this is a dead thread revival...sorry. I'll move along now.
03-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I also had the same issue with a 2nd hand ME Super. What I found was if I would it twice it would fire. But I also found that if you wound the leaver to the end and held it there for a second at the end of the through it would be cocked and fire okay.
I removed the bottom cover by removing the then 3 screws(two out side ling and center screw short)

Watch out for the plastic connector cover that can fall out.
No need to remove the winder and battery caps.
There is a pawl arm with a little spring that I think is slow to return. After watching it actuate 10/15 times it started working okay.
I'm avoiding lubricants if I can as they can damage parts(plastic).
Seems to be working fine now.

03-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This thread is three years old and Camerakid hasn't logged on since 2017. I'm sure he's already fixed his camera. And GateCityRadio states he realized the thread is old and also moved on.

Please pay attention to dates of threads when posting, some members may not even be around anymore. Thanks, for your understanding.
03-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
This thread is three years old and Camerakid hasn't logged on since 2017. I'm sure he's already fixed his camera. And GateCityRadio states he realized the thread is old and also moved on.

Please pay attention to dates of threads when posting, some members may not even be around anymore. Thanks, for your understanding.
So do you prefer a new thread is started on the very same subject?
03-05-2019, 03:43 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OP hasn't checked on the forum since 2017, but hasn't been in this thread since 2015. Yes.He could have started a new thread titled "How to fix" and gone from there.
03-06-2019, 02:33 AM   #13

I found this thread when I was searching for a solution to a problem. I added to the thread so I anybody else had an issue they could learn from my experience. I wasn't replying to the OP as such.
03-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grahhhtn Quote
I found this thread when I was searching for a solution to a problem. I added to the thread so I anybody else had an issue they could learn from my experience. I wasn't replying to the OP as such.
And as I said, you still should have started your own thread when you found this one was 4 years old, not 3 as I stated above. And if you weren't replying to the OP, you really should have started your own thread.

Your PentaxForums Moderation Team member
photolady95
03-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #15

And as I said, you still should have started your own thread when you found this one was 4 years old, not 3 as I stated above. And if you weren't replying to the OP, you really should have started your own thread.

Your PentaxForums Moderation Team member
photolady95
Unfortunately if I did that no one would see my post. If this thread is coming up in web searches then this is the best place to put the information. Most people like me aren't searching pentaxforums.com they are searching the internet.
I see what you are saying from the perspective of the forum but this wont get the most people the best answer.