Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
The LX is hot in its original color, black. It would, in my opinion, be madness to shell out such money for something like a gold Pentax.
Have you seen the special edition? Aside from the gold plating it is covered by dark tan lizard skin, which also covers the focusing ring of the gold plated f1.2 that comes in the special edition box.

11-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Have you seen the special edition? Aside from the gold plating it is covered by dark tan lizard skin, which also covers the focusing ring of the gold plated f1.2 that comes in the special edition box.
Only seen it on photos, not live
11-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter

The LX is a real, actual special edition. I don't know if they numbered them & limited the quantity. But it is certainly beautiful if it's your style. I think I'd have preferred a high gloss black with a darker leather versus gold & tan.
11-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was very fond of my LX. It exuded state-of-the-art design and precision manufacture, BUT, truth is over the years I found it a bit fragile. It eventually developed sticky mirror syndrome, the rubber insert around the film speed dial came loose, the cable release threads stripped, and the TTL flash system failed. The multi-contact front threaded PC terminal was always fussy to use and not 100% reliable, Wire from hot shoe connection was better. The winder was useful, but it made for a bulky, awkward shape that seemed out of place on a tripod. My original version Spotmatic (no hotshoe) was far more rugged, as was the Nikon FA I had for a while. The winder for the latter was bulkier but provided a DSLR style right front grip that was comfortable to hold, and the Nikon had a 1/180 flash synch versus the LX down @ 1/60.. I may draw out LX defenders with these comments, but it's my owner-abuser experience

11-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #20

It looks like somebody took some sandpaper to these before they were coated.
11-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I was very fond of my LX. It exuded state-of-the-art design and precision manufacture, BUT, truth is over the years I found it a bit fragile. It eventually developed sticky mirror syndrome, the rubber insert around the film speed dial came loose, the cable release threads stripped, and the TTL flash system failed. The multi-contact front threaded PC terminal was always fussy to use and not 100% reliable, Wire from hot shoe connection was better. The winder was useful, but it made for a bulky, awkward shape that seemed out of place on a tripod. My original version Spotmatic (no hotshoe) was far more rugged, as was the Nikon FA I had for a while. The winder for the latter was bulkier but provided a DSLR style right front grip that was comfortable to hold, and the Nikon had a 1/180 flash synch versus the LX down @ 1/60.. I may draw out LX defenders with these comments, but it's my owner-abuser experience
yes you are sticking out your neck saying things like this about the LX The most loved Pentax Camera ever, I think. hehe. My LX was given a CLA and also new wirering around 10 years ago, and it works perfect after that. But of course, there are many different experiences out there. Flash sync for LX is 1/75 if I am not wrong, not important but...

---------- Post added 11-20-2015 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The LX is a real, actual special edition. I don't know if they numbered them & limited the quantity. But it is certainly beautiful if it's your style. I think I'd have preferred a high gloss black with a darker leather versus gold & tan.
I could live with the black or silver titanium finnish. But not wanting to pay 2000$ for a copy
11-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my Pentax LX overhauled by Eric and used it regularly for a couple years.
It never malfunctioned but I was not real impressed. Too much hype maybe?
For my purposes a Pentax KX is better.

I do own and still use a professional system camera - a Nikon F2 Photomic.

Chris

11-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Looking at the detail photos, I suspect that the cameras have had their chrome removed by abrasion to expose the brass metal underneath. One of our local technicians did so on a K1000 a few years ago...

Steve
11-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I want to play I can use an MZ-S, K2, MX, XA, SV or LX. While I think the SV is sublime, when I seriously want to use a film camera to produce images I always take a KX.