Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Late to convo, but the Pakon f135 minilab scanners available second hand are pretty much life-changing for 35mm negative film in terms of quality vs. ease of use. PM me if you want more details or join the Facebook users group. Here's a little video made by Matt Day that's a great introduction. Scanning Film with Pakon F135+ - YouTube
Thanks for weighing in with the Pakon option. For many users, these high-speed commercial units will provide results that are as good or better than the lab scans.

Steve

12-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for weighing in with the Pakon option. For many users, these high-speed commercial units will provide results that are as good or better than the lab scans.
Indeed. Exhibit A.....

Here are three scans of an image taken not too long after I picked my first Pakon (F135Plus) ...
All are of the same Portra 400 color negative which was taken with Pentax MX and A50/1.4.
One scan is from a Noritsu lab scan I got back from my local trusted shop.
Another is from the Pakon F135 Plus (aka the Pak-Man)
And still another from my (recently sold) Pacific Images PrimeFilmXE negative scanner.

I won't divulge which is which straightaway. (no cheating please)

12-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Nobody wants to play my game?
12-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't tell the difference, but that might just be my eyes - histopathologists tend to see the world in various shades of red and blue (haematoxylin and eosin stain) with occasional ventures into brown (immunohistochemistry).

12-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is indeed hard to tell the difference online. But I suppose that is exactly the point.
Might I see a difference in images made with an expensive Nikon or drum scanner?
Perhaps, but for speed and convenience the Pakon is unquestionably a slam dunk.
It's too bad the price has gone up so much. Glad I got mine when they were $250!

Chris
12-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It is indeed hard to tell the difference online. But I suppose that is exactly the point.
Might I see a difference in images made with an expensive Nikon or drum scanner?
Perhaps, but for speed and convenience the Pakon is unquestionably a slam dunk.
It's too bad the price has gone up so much. Glad I got mine when they were $250!

Chris
It is the point. And, agreed - the price absolutely exploded (especially the Plus version) making them far beyond what i'd pay for something that is borderline unserviceable for the average Joe. The LED started fussing and throwing errors on mine - all sort sorts of weirdness and it sat for a few months before someone bought it to try and fix or keep for parts.
The F135 (non-plus) can still be had for around 300-400 which isn't terrible, and though about half the speed (still quick by other standards) you can still pull 16bit/ch scans out of it using TLXClient software. After a few more months without I bought one of those and have to say I'm very happy to once again not use the flatbed for 35mm neg. Even this slower verion cuts the worktime to easily a 1/4 (probably even less) what the Epson takes me.
12-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #37

Thanks for cnet link, Suleeto. I have used a Visioneer scanner in the past and scanned slides and negatives one-by-one as TIFF files. The problem with it was that it had no driver for Windows Vista (yes, I guess what you're going to say, but blame it on the new economy). If anyone is buying the new scanners, recheck if they are compatible with their Windows version (including Windows 10).

12-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is the point. And, agreed - the price absolutely exploded (especially the Plus version) making them far beyond what i'd pay for something that is borderline unserviceable for the average Joe.
Yep...I recently looked into purchase of a Plus, but the price put me off.

Steve
12-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
If anyone is buying the new scanners, recheck if they are compatible with their Windows version (including Windows 10).

I'm looking for a late model laptop or desktop running Windows XP for use with my Pakon scanner.
As soon as I buy something they'll probably roll out a Windows 7 version of the Pakon software...

Chris
12-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can't tell the difference, but that might just be my eyes - histopathologists tend to see the world in various shades of red and blue (haematoxylin and eosin stain) with occasional ventures into brown (immunohistochemistry).
My college histology class just charged into my memory. Good times. Good times.
12-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm looking for a late model laptop or desktop running Windows XP for use with my Pakon scanner.
You may be happy to know that Service Pack 3 for XP is still available for download from Microsoft and that Windows update works for all downloads up until support ceased in 2014. I had to install SP 3 on my Dad's laptop this last weekend. It went much more smoothly than I anticipated, though I did have to use Firefox for the SP 3 download.

Steve
12-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...I recently looked into purchase of a Plus, but the price put me off.
I'd not even bother. The non-Plus is every bit as good - honestly I think I prefer the speed of it - it takes about the amount of time to scan in a 36exp roll as it does for me to move the files from the previous scan to my other drive, have a quick peek at the full-res files (very brief) and prep the next roll. The Plus would beat me nearly every time.

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 07:35 PM ----------

As soon as I buy something they'll probably roll out a Windows 7 version of the Pakon software...
When I got my first Pakon I intended to use my old desktop (old but a screamer in it's day) running XP to operate the scanner. Proved to be a hassle - it's tempermental software. After half a day of fussing I just installed MS Virtual PC on my main laptop, created an XP machine on it and everything went pretty much without a hitch. Haven't looked back. Honestly it's easier all-around... I just transfer my scans out of the VPC directory onto another drive connected to the main OS.

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 07:38 PM ----------

And when I got the non-Plus version, months later,the software on the same old virtual machine picked it up right away without so much as a hiccup. THAT was surprising.

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

And for anyone who cares, the order of the above 3 images are: 1. PrimeFilmXE, 2. Noritsu, 3. Pakon
12-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm content with my current desktop PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.
For the cost of upgrading to Professional I can buy a PC or laptop with XP Pro.

Further I have read that the Pakon software often doesn't play well with VM.
I'd hate to find out the hard way if that applies to me.

Chris
12-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Further I have read that the Pakon software often doesn't play well with VM.
I'd hate to find out the hard way if that applies to me.
Hmmm.. I know of very large number of folks running it on a virtual OS form in one way or another on the Pakon Facebook group. What sort of problems did read of?
12-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm.. I know of very large number of folks running it on a virtual OS form in one way or another on the Pakon Facebook group. What sort of problems did read of?

Not sure exactly, but I read several accounts that the Pakon software didn't run at all or run properly.
I'm glad it works for you, but I don't want to pay to upgrade my OS then find it doesn't work for me.
I've also read there's a workaround to install VM and XP mode without upgrading. I may try that first.

Chris