Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
If/when I get into PyrocatHD, I'll probably use some mix of PEG and distilled water.
Sweet jesus, use propylene glycol [ C3H8O2 ] NOT polyethelene glycol [H-(O-CH2-CH2)n-OH] - those two are NOT the same compound. propylene glycol, like all low-molecular-weight alcohols, is soluble in all proportions in water. however there is a 0.4 differential in density at room temperature which means that if left standing for a long amount of time the two will separate. The reason why I have a preference for propylene glycol is because it is easier to get it absolutely pure, and that purity has a direct impact on developer longevity.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.
12-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Sweet jesus, use propylene glycol [ C3H8O2 ] NOT polyethelene glycol [H-(O-CH2-CH2)n-OH] - those two are NOT the same compound. propylene glycol, like all low-molecular-weight alcohols, is soluble in all proportions in water. however there is a 0.4 differential in density at room temperature which means that if left standing for a long amount of time the two will separate. The reason why I have a preference for propylene glycol is because it is easier to get it absolutely pure, and that purity has a direct impact on developer longevity.
Polyethylene glycol may free up your artist's block in unexpected ways. Brand names include Lax-a-Day and Restor-a-Lax.
12-05-2015, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Polyethylene glycol is listed among the ingredients of Dr Pepper.

Chris
12-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Ok, so now I am inspired to try to develop my next roll with Dr. Pepper! It shouldn't work, but there's so many chemicals in there, you never know. Average can is 355ml, and I use 290ml of working solution. What do you think....stock or should I dilute 1:1? If I dilute, I can get half a can for myself, and half the calories.

12-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
So that is why that stuff tastes gross to me....
12-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #36

Love Dr Pepper! And Xtol. Xtol kinda ruined my want to try the stainy stuff.
12-09-2015, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #37

I'll add another vote for HC-110. The concentrate is easy to use, no powder mixing, and even after it is opened, it lasts nearly forever, if you don't develop all that often.

12-10-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

In my 30 years of developing film, I find one-shot, long shelf life developers are way, way more convenient and give consistent results because you have a "fresh" mix each time. I can't speak for the rest of you but developers that age after mixing or require you to add additional development time after x-number of rolls have been processed were problematic for me.

A couple of scenarios I encountered often were the following. I'm ready to develop film I know I have some really good shots and do I mix a fresh batch of developer or risk developing this roll when the developer is less than optimal near its last of its capacity. Or you haven't developed anything for 5 months and, again, you have some good shots so do you risk developing on old developer near the end of its shelf life or mix a new batch?

I use to dump it out a mix a new bath and that was wasteful. But with one-shot developer that have a very long shelf life that is not a problem. And today I suspect most of us shoot film only part-time with digital filling the the rest of the time I suspect.
12-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
In my 30 years of developing film, I find one-shot, long shelf life developers are way, way more convenient and give consistent results because you have a "fresh" mix each time. I can't speak for the rest of you but developers that age after mixing or require you to add additional development time after x-number of rolls have been processed were problematic for me.

A couple of scenarios I encountered often were the following. I'm ready to develop film I know I have some really good shots and do I mix a fresh batch of developer or risk developing this roll when the developer is less than optimal near its last of its capacity. Or you haven't developed anything for 5 months and, again, you have some good shots so do you risk developing on old developer near the end of its shelf life or mix a new batch?

I use to dump it out a mix a new bath and that was wasteful. But with one-shot developer that have a very long shelf life that is not a problem. And today I suspect most of us shoot film only part-time with digital filling the the rest of the time I suspect.
Indeed, I really like Rodinal for that! (And to a less extend DD-X, which I use at a fast enough rate shelf life is not so much a problem.) I'll have to burn through this D76 fast enough to not worry about shelf life. At least it was pretty cheap.