Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

Date of manufacture

I've just taken delivery of my first Pentax since the MX I had around two decades ago - a Spotmatic, my favourite camera as a kid gazing longingly at brochures for gear i couldn't afford (and with a Zorki 4 as my 1st real camera), so a real trip down memory lane. I wonder if anyone knew when it might have been made or sold - I've searched everywhere (I think!) but can't find any help so far. The serial number is 1230502.

I'd be grateful for any help, thanks in advance...

12-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may help narrow down the dates.

However, remember that 'made' and 'sold' can sometimes be separated by large gaps in time - if a camera happened by chance to not have been bought yet before updated models arrived, it might have stewed on the back shelves as "new old stock" for some time.

BTW here is the account of getting my first Spotmatic (bought this year) up and running.

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-18-2015 at 08:55 AM.
12-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This may help narrow down the dates.

However, remember that 'made' and 'sold' can sometimes be separated by large gaps in time - if a camera happened by chance to not have been bought yet before updated models arrived, it might have stewed on the back shelves as "new old stock" for some time.

BTW here is the account of getting my first Spotmatic (bought this year) up and running.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

David
12-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Looking here
Pentax Spotmatic Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
may give you more idea, it suggests that yours is quite a late model.

12-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
Looking here
Pentax Spotmatic Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
may give you more idea, it suggests that yours is quite a late model.
Again, thank you. Looking through the list and checking that earlier link makes me suspect that, as long as Pentax issued serial numbers sequentially, mine would be a 'late' model, but made sometime between 1966 and '67.

The difficulty is the purchase dates are often quoted by newer owners well after the original sale. But there are two listed that mine appears to lie between -

1211890 bought in July 1966

and

1282256 bought in December 1967,

so probably closer to late '66 and early '67.

It's amazing to me that I was a small child not even aware of photography when it was made, yet nearly half a century later it looks almost new and works fine. I wonder how many regularly used new digital cameras will work in 2065?
12-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DGHawkes Quote
I wonder how many regularly used new digital cameras will work in 2065?
Zero!

Phil.