Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need service manual for a PZ-1p.

I have a PZ-1p in which the flash spring hook has broken. I think this is quite fixable but I need to get access to the flash area under the LCD screen. If anyone knows where I could obtain the service manual with disassembly diagrams, I would appreciate it greatly.

06-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Banned

I couldnt find one but this site has lots of manuals and service manuals, maybe you can contact the site owner and request one?

kim@pentax-manuals.com
PENTAX MANUALS
06-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Bob 256, welcome to the Forums!

You might try here for a PDF of the user manual for your PZ-1p: User guide PENTAX PZ-1P & instructions manual PENTAX PZ-1P

You can purchase the user manual directly from Pentax Imaging for $6.00: Pentax Imaging - Manuals & Literature

No luck searching online for a PZ-1p service manual per se. Perhaps contacting Pentax Service in Colorado might get you a source for one. Best of luck to you!
06-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
DAP

I would second the recomendation of trying Pentax Colorado. Ask them if they can email you a parts diagram for the Flash area of the PZ-1P. If that doesn't work they might be able to sell you the actual service manual for this camera.

06-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I have a PZ-1p in which the flash spring hook has broken. I think this is quite fixable but I need to get access to the flash area under the LCD screen. If anyone knows where I could obtain the service manual with disassembly diagrams, I would appreciate it greatly.
Bob,

I have a PZ-1p with the exact same issue. In the process of taking the top off of the camera, I managed to short out some power leads to the flash with a screwdriver and fried the entire camera. The flash power leads are very much exposed and carry 330v from the main capacitor. I am very DIY but probably would not try this operation again.
If you have the spring, my suggestion would be to take the flash mechanism apart from the top and epoxy the spring end back where it should be attached. This should be possible without taking the top plate off of the camera.
Let us know how it goes as this is a very common problem with these cameras.

Russell
07-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had the exact same problem with my 1p, and I fixed it by using some spare pieces of plastic to form a key-wedge to keep the pop-up flash up. I also cut out a small notch on the side of the camera so that I could release the flash using a fingernail after I pushed the flash button on the camera.

Works like a charm.
07-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank's for the Suggestions!

Thank's everyone for your suggestions and help. I'll try Pentax in Colorado for the service manual. As Russell mentioned, it appears to be a very simple fix. I can see the spring still attached to the pop-up rod and if I tension the loose end with some needle nose pliers, all works as it should. If I can gain access to the interior (tried orthoscopic surgery but there just isn't enough room to maneuver), I'll try to rebuild the spring hook using epoxy. Tried removing the suspect screws to get in but that seemed to be going nowhere so the service manual would be nice if it shows disassembly of this portion of the camera. Again thank's. Ill keep everyone appraised of my efforts and results. Thank's too, Russell for the high voltage warning. I'll make sure the battery is removed and the flash discharged.
Bob: