Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
PZ-1 help or info please

Looks like there are a few PZ-1 users here. I got one myself recently because I love film, have a bunch of F/FAs that are a match to the camera, and because it is so similar to my K10D that I don't have to do a lot of thinking swithching from one to another.

I note some minor quirks.

1. When shooting upwards on a bright day, I note that the flash warning goes off and starts blinking. Why is that? Is it just saying that this appears to be a backlit situation and that as a result of the brightness some features in the frame are going to be underexposed and you might want to use a fill flash? Just wondering. Not a big issue.

2. When shooting with on-board flash, in HyP(er Program), it seems to default to 1/30th and the minimum aperture of the lens. This hardly seems "optimum." I can change the speed up to 1/250th. That's it. Seems a little odd. Is this the normal behavior?

Seems that with my K10D, I can set to Synch and then run it up to 180, and set any aperture I wish. The manual seems to intimate that aperture and speed are adjustable. Am I just missing something here? Is this behavior the same with a dedicated flash?

3. What dedicated flash units are you all using? Recommendations?

woof

06-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having used PZ1's and PZ1p's I have a few guesses for you. On your first question, you are probably right...the camera recognizes that fill flash will aid the backlit situation. On both the second and third questions, I think you'll solve the problem by using aperture priority. I've never used the cameras in any mode other than AV and that will allow you to select the aperture you want. If it then defaults to whatever shutter speed, it shouldn't really matter for most subjects. Seems my PZ's did a great job of slow speed synch, which keeps the background at normal exposure while the foreground or subject is exposed from the flash. I'm guessing that all three of your questions resulted from using the camera in green program mode where the camera makes all the decisions for you. I always use aperture priority to select my own depth of field and thus the corresponding shutter speed that will match for proper exposure. (Pick a wide aperture for shallow depth of field and the camera chooses the matching fast shutter speed for you. Choose a tiny aperture for huge depth of field and the camera sets a matching slow shutter speed. Though many shooters switch to shutter priority to select shutter speeds, I just use the aperture--in aperture priority AV mode--to select shutter speed. Wide aperture for faster shutter speed, narrow aperture for slower shutter speed. After nearly 20 years in aperture priority, I'm pretty ingrained with this method of semi-manual exposure).

I used the AF500FGZ flashes which cost $300 ten years ago. Now that they don't work with the newer digital bodies, you can get one pretty cheap (heck I'd sell one of mine). If you are trying to use one of the newer flashes--360 or 540--that may cause issues if you set it to PTTL which your PZ1 doesn't support.

Enjoy that camera, it's a real dandy!
06-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
I'm guessing that all three of your questions resulted from using the camera in green program mode where the camera makes all the decisions for you.
Ron, thanks! No green program mode for me. Basically I use Hyper Program which just switches between Av and Tv based on which e-Dial I am using at that moment.

However, I will try Av mode and see what happens. If I am locked into f/4 I am going to guess the camera is faulty here...

Now that they don't work with the newer digital bodies, you can get one pretty cheap (heck I'd sell one of mine).
Thanks for the offer. Please feel free to send me a PM with respect to this. I am interested in purchasing one...

Thanks Ron, I know I will. It really seems like a great camera and I've already got a few good shots that tell me that the meter is dead on and that everything seems to be working right... with the possible exception of the flash...

woof!
06-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Looks like there are a few PZ-1 users here. I got one myself recently because I love film, have a bunch of F/FAs that are a match to the camera, and because it is so similar to my K10D that I don't have to do a lot of thinking swithching from one to another.

I note some minor quirks.

1. When shooting upwards on a bright day, I note that the flash warning goes off and starts blinking. Why is that? Is it just saying that this appears to be a backlit situation and that as a result of the brightness some features in the frame are going to be underexposed and you might want to use a fill flash? Just wondering. Not a big issue.

2. When shooting with on-board flash, in HyP(er Program), it seems to default to 1/30th and the minimum aperture of the lens. This hardly seems "optimum." I can change the speed up to 1/250th. That's it. Seems a little odd. Is this the normal behavior?

Seems that with my K10D, I can set to Synch and then run it up to 180, and set any aperture I wish. The manual seems to intimate that aperture and speed are adjustable. Am I just missing something here? Is this behavior the same with a dedicated flash?

3. What dedicated flash units are you all using? Recommendations?

woof
Hi Woof,

1. Yes, the camera is telling you that you are in a backlit situation.

2. In HyperProgram mode, the camera chooses what it thinks are the best settings for the lens/light combination, based on data that is stored in a table. If the lighting is low, it will choose a large apeture and slow shutter speed to try to balance the ambient with the flash for a more pleasing shot. If that isn't what you want, you will have to dial up the shutter speed or dial down the apeture or shoot in manual.

3. I don't use a dedicated flash, I use a Vivitar 285HV. If I were looking for a dedicated unit for the PZ, I would snap up a $99 AF500-FTZ that is on fleabay with BIN. The 500 is very powerful and has full TTL compatibility with the PZ. If you have a K##D, it is pretty much a manual flash, so you might want to take that into consideration. The AF540 (current model) is TTL capable and is a great flash, if you can pony up the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's my 2 cents. YMMV.

06-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
1. Yes, the camera is telling you that you are in a backlit situation.

2. In HyperProgram mode, the camera chooses what it thinks are the best settings for the lens/light combination, based on data that is stored in a table. If the lighting is low, it will choose a large apeture and slow shutter speed to try to balance the ambient with the flash for a more pleasing shot. If that isn't what you want, you will have to dial up the shutter speed or dial down the apeture or shoot in manual.

3. I don't use a dedicated flash, I use a Vivitar 285HV. If I were looking for a dedicated unit for the PZ, I would snap up a $99 AF500-FTZ that is on fleabay with BIN. The 500 is very powerful and has full TTL compatibility with the PZ. If you have a K##D, it is pretty much a manual flash, so you might want to take that into consideration. The AF540 (current model) is TTL capable and is a great flash, if you can pony up the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's my 2 cents. YMMV.
>> it will choose a large apeture and slow shutter speed to try to balance the
>> ambient with the flash for a more pleasing shot.

See, that's what's weird. On a 28-70mm constant f/4, it selects 1/30th, f/4. Not a large aperture. And I can't adjust the aperture at all. On a 28-105mm 5.6-rtc. it chooses 1/30th f/5.6. Feels like something is wrong.

Thanks YMMV... this is very helpful. I think I will go with the AF500-FTZ. I do have a Vivitar 285HV, so perhaps I should play with that, but I'd really like the convenience of a fully TTL capable flash.

Shane
06-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
>> it will choose a large apeture and slow shutter speed to try to balance the
>> ambient with the flash for a more pleasing shot.

See, that's what's weird. On a 28-70mm constant f/4, it selects 1/30th, f/4. Not a large aperture. And I can't adjust the aperture at all. On a 28-105mm 5.6-rtc. it chooses 1/30th f/5.6. Feels like something is wrong.

Thanks YMMV... this is very helpful. I think I will go with the AF500-FTZ. I do have a Vivitar 285HV, so perhaps I should play with that, but I'd really like the convenience of a fully TTL capable flash.

Shane
Woof,

By large apeture, I mean large apeture opening (small f numbers), or wide open or f4 on your 28-70 f4. Sorry for the confusion but I think your camera is acting exactly as designed and trying to let in the most light possible.
I don't have the 500 but it is powerful and has tilt and swivel plus full functionality except for an auto setting. I have been watching the various on-line sources and $99 almost tempted me to pull the trigger.
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
By large apeture, I mean large apeture opening (small f numbers), or wide open or f4 on your 28-70 f4. Sorry for the confusion but I think your camera is acting exactly as designed and trying to let in the most light possible.
I don't have the 500 but it is powerful and has tilt and swivel plus full functionality except for an auto setting. I have been watching the various on-line sources and $99 almost tempted me to pull the trigger.
Thanks. On "large" aperture I was simply being dense I think. I do think of it as "small"... knowing full well in my mind that it's wide open. Your useage is correct. Mine is... well, sorry. Wouldn't know that I've been doing this since 1972 would ya?

Seaain

06-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't forget lowly 330FTZ !

Quite a nice flash for 10 bucks !
07-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used the AF500FGZ flashes which cost $300 ten years ago. Now that they don't work with the newer digital bodies, you can get one pretty cheap (heck I'd sell one of mine). If you are trying to use one of the newer flashes--360 or 540--that may cause issues if you set it to PTTL which your PZ1 doesn't support.

Couple of points just to aid / prevent confusion.

it is an AF500FTZ not FGZ. no harm done

Note the AF540 FGZ recognizes that P-TTL is not available and switches to TTL automatically.

Does the same on the *istD with K mount lenses
10-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Having used PZ1's and PZ1p's I have a few guesses for you. On your first question, you are probably right...the camera recognizes that fill flash will aid the backlit situation.
This is pretty smart, haven't thought of that.

I use my AF360FGZ flash on both my K10 D, and Z-1P; so no problems there