Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too Many to Choose Which One

I have 5 film Pentax camera's. Only 2 look are good enough condition to try and use. They are the K1000SE and Pentax Super ME. I'm sure they need to be cleaned and serviced, but I'm also getting a Pentax ZX-5N (MZ-5N). Does anyone think the K1000SE or the Super ME is worth getting fixed? What is a general ball park cost to have them serviced?

Thanks

01-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$60 each I assume and IMO they are both worth it servicing.
01-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I would be interested to know what the others are, for the sake of completeness. Full information is always better to have.

Out of the two you have, the ME Super has advantages in terms of its aperture priority mode, with the option of full manual if you want it, but not everybody likes the push-button style of shutter speed control that comes with this camera. Added to this is the fact that if your batteries go out, you're stuck with 1/100 mechanical shutter speed (camera set to flash sync) and bulb. In addition, the compactness of the camera can be a blessing or a curse depending on the size of your hands and the size & balance of the lens you have grafted to it.

The K1000 doesn't do aperture priority and you have to juggle all three of shutter speed, aperture and focus all the time, so it requires a bit more practice to use smoothly. Against that, the shutter is entirely mechanical, so if the batteries go out, all you lose is the metering - and if you have a hand-held meter or are willing to go with Sunny 16 and similar exposure rules, ALL your shutter speeds are still available to you. The K1000 is significantly bigger, of course, but once again the advantages and disadvantages of this can come down to your hand size and what you have mounted on it. Its biggest weakness is if you forget or lose the lens cap, the meter is permanently on and the batteries will run down faster.

The M-series cameras changed from silicon to gallium-based photodiodes for metering; the gallium diodes are supposed to be substantially quicker in their response and in their adaptation to radically shifting and/or extreme light conditions.

If I personally were trying to decide which of these two cameras to have serviced and tidied up (Eric Hendrickson is the first choice in the US to approach to do this work), I would reach for the ME Super first.
01-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this will be your first serious try at film photography suggest you get the K1000 serviced by Eric Hendrickson, (~$60 at pentaxs.com)
and pick up a copy of the excellent primer Black and White Photography by Henry Horenstein.

Chris

01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are 4

Here are 4 of them. The other is in the closet somewhere and it's in bad shape and not even a Pentax.

01-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I would prefer an SV or H1a for beginners, I've found that dSLR users find exposure plus manual focus reduces the hit rate, and they do much better with an ME or ME Super to start with, until manual focus becomes automatic. The they can add manual metering without overload.
01-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
While I would prefer an SV or H1a for beginners, I've found that dSLR users find exposure plus manual focus reduces the hit rate, and they do much better with an ME or ME Super to start with, until manual focus becomes automatic. The they can add manual metering without overload.
It all depends on how much time you can allow yourself to take the shot. If the subject isn't going anywhere, an MX or K1000 is perfect; if the opportunities might be fleeting or the subject is moving about, the ME (or ME Super in automatic mode) has the right level of "training wheels" for the modern-day beginning film photographer. The Super is better in this regard because the trainer wheels can be "taken off" and manual mode engaged as the photographer gains confidence.

01-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'll send the K1000SE in for service, but can't make up my mind to send either the ME or the ME super.
01-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The ME Super is the more versatile due to its manual mode; I would send it in first. I have an ME and I think they're great, but why not get the added capability?
01-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The ME Super is the more versatile due to its manual mode; I would send it in first. I have an ME and I think they're great, but why not get the added capability?
I'd second this. I have both, and they're really no different in use, other than the ability to take control of the Super. I prefer the K size bodies, but I frequently use the ME Super, especially for candid snaps at family gatherings.
01-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
I prefer the K size bodies...
While I wish my Spotmatic was the size and weight of an MX... It's not REALLY all that huge, but I like the M series bodies. I also like the Spotties for my M42 glass due to the fact that even if I have to stop down to meter, once that's done the aperture is automatic until the light conditions change. So yeah, a Spotmatic F the size of an MX would be the perfect camera for my old M42 glass...
01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Open back door and fire the shutter at /125 checking that you can see light every time at long edge and trailing edge of blinds.
Remove lens check the iris snaps open and closed.
Stick a XP2+ film in it and print our sunny side /16 rules.
Set the shutter to /125 aperture to rule.
Focus at 12 feet and shoot up nearest Street market at least two hours before sun down.
Mini lab film.
You will need to download the user manual.

Pentax camera instruction manuals, Pentax professional instruction manuals
01-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to All

Thanks to all here who gave such great answers. I'll be sure to post some shots once I get everything going with the testing & to sending them in to Eric.