Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Pentax S2 35mm SLR film winder issue

Hi all, just purchased a Pentax S2 with 55 f2 and 135 f3.5 lenses. I have no idea how to use it as I don't have much experience using film camera. I was having hard time finding lever to open Bach cover but finally manage to find the little latch on the side. I also manage to attach the light meter on top of the camera but not sure if I did it right or not.

Every thing on the camera works fine except it is very hard to move film rewind lever. There is no roll in the camera but the winder should move freely. Am I doing something wrong. Is there any place I can find thmanual for this camera?

Thanks

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 12:16 AM ----------

Sorry, I managed to fix the issue, I opened the back door and managed to push up the film winding lever. The shaft was bit sticky and that was the reason it was not working properly. I wipe the shaft with an alcoholic wipe and it starts working fine. I still appreciate any tips using the wonderful classic camera, specially how to use the top light meter.

01-13-2016, 02:22 AM   #2

Congratulations. The S2 (aka H2) was my first Pentax as well.

Here's some background on the camera at
* https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/116346-pentax-s2-h2.html
* https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/224149-asahi...-question.html
* Asahi Pentax 1957-64 - www.pentax-slr.com

There were several versions of the light meter, the third reference might explain how it operated. Usually the meter was placed on top of the camera and the shutter dial on the meter was directly connected to the dial on the camera via a pin and a hole. When having preset the ASA (aka ISO) and the shutter time, the meter would point out the correct aperture, which you set on the lens manually.
01-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi John,

Thanks for the response and helpful links. I will look into this. I think I have the 3rd version of the light meter as it is rectangular and has zebra lines on top. Do I need to put batteries in the light meter? And what kind of batteries it take.

Thanks, Pendu
01-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Penduboy Quote
Hi John,

Thanks for the response and helpful links. I will look into this. I think I have the 3rd version of the light meter as it is rectangular and has zebra lines on top. Do I need to put batteries in the light meter? And what kind of batteries it take.

Thanks, Pendu
Yes you need mercury batteries for the meter. They usually last about a year.

There's a link to Pentax H2 and the exposure meter manuals at Pentax Manuals
Click on the relevant manual - password is always "Pentax" btw.

The Light meter manual at http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/meter_ii_s.pdf at p6 suggest Mallory PX13 or equivalent. It gives installation instructions as well.

01-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks John, is there alternate to 1.3 volt Mercury battery as they are hard to find.

Thanks
01-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Penduboy Quote
Thanks John, is there alternate to 1.3 volt Mercury battery as they are hard to find.

Thanks
Try PX625, PX13 or MR9. Replacements for these discontinued Mercury cells. for alternatives
01-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Great! I will try to get these batteries and let you know.

Thanks