Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Is the Quantaray70-300mm f4-5.6 compatible with the super program/k1000

Well today i bought a Super Program from a dude off of craigslist, mainly for the lenses that came with it, so my question is this...

Will the Quantaray 70-300mm f4-5.6 work correctly on the super program? and same question for the k1000.

i bought the quantaray for the k1000 and for the future when i go digital but the sales rep at the store didnt seem to knowledgeable, and im totally clueless. this is my first week ever picking up a pentax....

thanks,

you guys have already helped me out immensely with all the useful info on this board.

:bows:

ripper

07-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is this the lens you are talking about:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2

If so I would think it would operate as I can operate the len manually with my K100DS in manual mode with AF off.
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Is this the lens you are talking about:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2

If so I would think it would operate as I can operate the len manually with my K100DS in manual mode with AF off.
yeah thats the one... ..... thanks,

another follow up question, are pretty much all pentax lenses compatible with all pentax cameras?
07-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

From my understanding, yes. However there will be limitation on certain things. Obviously AF will not work on cameras/lenses that do not support autofocus for example. I'm sure there will be a few more that will chime in on this one as well for other limitations.

07-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 2ipper Quote
another follow up question, are pretty much all pentax lenses compatible with all pentax cameras?
NO! There were some early lenses which were 37mm thread mount. I have never seen an adapter to use them on M42 or K mount bodies, but there may be one.

Also there is no adapter to use K mount lenses on M42 mount bodies (ie. Spotmatic, etc).

Bill
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteQuote:
NO! There were some early lenses which were 37mm thread mount. I have never seen an adapter to use them on M42 or K mount bodies, but there may be one.

Also there is no adapter to use K mount lenses on M42 mount bodies (ie. Spotmatic, et
thats a bit skewed and I severely doubt the OP will plan on using an Asahi-Kogaku Takumar m37 lens, they are hard to find, super expensive and pointless as an everyday lens. besides those lenses were used on cameras before the originalAsahi 'Pentax'. as for the k-m42 adapter: Since the diameter of the K mount is larger than that of the screw mount, a K mount lens will have to be mounted in front of the screw-mount body, and the adapter will act like a short extension tube. Because of this, the focusing scale of the lens will not be correct, and the lens will not be able to focus to infinity.

all pentax K mount lenses can be used on all pentax K mount bodies (with some restrictions) all m42 mount lenses can be used on all K mount bodies with an adapter. thus you have some 25? million pentax lenses manufactured that you can use (not counting 3rd party lenses)
DA lenses however are a problem because they lack an aperture ring. Because the lenses have no aperture ring, the f-stop can only be set via controls on the camera body. These lenses are not usable on many film SLR's but they function properly on all digital SLR's. They also (with the exception of a few (ie: the DA 40mm) have a smaller image circle designed for the 1.5x crop sensor which can give vignetting on a 35mm film plane.

so you can use without any problems:
m42
K
M
A
F
FA
FAJ
DFA
DA (see above paragraph)

Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

as for the quantaray and your 35mm cameras, yes they will work but here are your restrictions:

SuperProgram: no AF
K1000: no AF, no use of the 'A' auto aperture

Last edited by séamuis; 07-02-2008 at 10:13 AM.
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
NO! There were some early lenses which were 37mm thread mount. I have never seen an adapter to use them on M42 or K mount bodies, but there may be one. Also there is no adapter to use K mount lenses on M42 mount bodies (ie. Spotmatic, etc).
I think that technically, the first "Pentax" camera was the 1957 Asahi Pentax "AP". The name Pentax in that context was actually the model name and it was so wildly successful that the company took the name. So anything that predates it is not technically a Pentax. The Pentax "AP" had an M42 mount. The 37mm threads were Asahiflex cameras, and while they are the father/grandfather of Pentax cameras, they are not Pentax cameras.

That said, without splitting hairs, you are right of course. Just a friendly note to let you know that a collector might correct you some day on this. For my part, I'd be more interested in finding out if there is a converter out there.

woof!

07-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I may be wrong but it seems to me that at one time, there was a M37 to M42 adapter. Of course I may just be thinking of the Leica M39 to M42 that Pentax had as an accessory in the 60's.
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats a bit skewed and I severely doubt the OP will plan on using an Asahi-Kogaku Takumar m37 lens, they are hard to find, super expensive and pointless as an everyday lens. besides those lenses were used on cameras before the originalAsahi 'Pentax'. as for the k-m42 adapter: Since the diameter of the K mount is larger than that of the screw mount, a K mount lens will have to be mounted in front of the screw-mount body, and the adapter will act like a short extension tube. Because of this, the focusing scale of the lens will not be correct, and the lens will not be able to focus to infinity.

all pentax K mount lenses can be used on all pentax K mount bodies (with some restrictions) all m42 mount lenses can be used on all K mount bodies with an adapter. thus you have some 25? million pentax lenses manufactured that you can use (not counting 3rd party lenses)
DA lenses however are a problem because they lack an aperture ring. Because the lenses have no aperture ring, the f-stop can only be set via controls on the camera body. These lenses are not usable on many film SLR's but they function properly on all digital SLR's. They also (with the exception of a few (ie: the DA 40mm) have a smaller image circle designed for the 1.5x crop sensor which can give vignetting on a 35mm film plane.

so you can use without any problems:
m42
K
M
A
F
FA
FAJ
DFA
DA (see above paragraph)

Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

as for the quantaray and your 35mm cameras, yes they will work but here are your restrictions:

SuperProgram: no AF
K1000: no AF, no use of the 'A' auto aperture
thanks for the info.