Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

MV Rewind Mechanism Question

Hello All,

New to retro Pentax SLR's and totally loving the results on my recently acquired Pentax MV. Sadly for me, I'm a bit "ham fisted" and pulled the winder off the assembly. I then tried to re-insert it, and "crimp" the plastic top cover with some "grips" .... with disastrous results

I can buy a replacement assembly like the one attached, which is from an MV-1. Doe anyone know if it will fit?, as I don't really want to waste money on something that is of no use.

Hope to get more involved in this forum as I (hopefully) progress. Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Attached Images

03-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The part you are showing doesn't look like there is anything wrong with it in the picture. Remember that. If you pulled the knob off the shaft, yes the MV-1 part will work. All you really need is the plastic knob since that is the part that gets damaged. That plastic rewind knob is the most commonly broken part so if you are getting a parts camera you need to be sure the knob is good and doesn't have a crack where it connects to the shaft.
03-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ApeArt Quote
Hello All,

New to retro Pentax SLR's and totally loving the results on my recently acquired Pentax MV. Sadly for me, I'm a bit "ham fisted" and pulled the winder off the assembly. I then tried to re-insert it, and "crimp" the plastic top cover with some "grips" .... with disastrous results

I can buy a replacement assembly like the one attached, which is from an MV-1. Doe anyone know if it will fit?, as I don't really want to waste money on something that is of no use.

Hope to get more involved in this forum as I (hopefully) progress. Thanks in advance for your help.

David
Thanks for the reply. Sorry - I should have mentioned that the picture is of the replacement part from the MV-1 which I was considering buying. I broke the lever off first, which now doesn't stay firmly in when re-attached, and then broke the plastic cap ... into little pieces

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a decent replacement for the whole camera I think, as the MV's are really cheap - maybe a couple of "donor" cameras for parts too

David
03-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Is that the only tpolony (Tony) is selling on ebay? It's worth dropping him a line and asking if he knows whether it would fit.

03-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry for not getting back sooner - I bought an ME - which is a little more "robust" than the MV. I'm on the lookout for either a replacement winder or a "donor" camera, but I've actually got quite fond of it as it is .... rewinding the thing as I do with a ballpoint pen or precision screwdriver ;-) Great retro fun!

Thanks for the all the advice,

David
03-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you checked to see whether the rewind knob on the ME fits the MV? If yes, you could replace the plastic MV knob with a sturdy metal one from an ME/ME super/super program parts camera.
03-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Have you checked to see whether the rewind knob on the ME fits the MV? If yes, you could replace the plastic MV knob with a sturdy metal one from an ME/ME super/super program parts camera.
The aluminium (?) winder AND the black plastic cap are missing, so it's a case of using a ballpoint pent or something as small to rewind the film. No biggie ... camera works just fine otherwise, and I just bought an un-tested but cosmetically good ME, which I'm currently shooting a roll of Ilford XP2.

We shall see if it needs one

David

03-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ApeArt Quote
The aluminium (?) winder AND the black plastic cap are missing, so it's a case of using a ballpoint pent or something as small to rewind the film. No biggie ... camera works just fine otherwise, and I just bought an un-tested but cosmetically good ME, which I'm currently shooting a roll of Ilford XP2.

We shall see if it needs one

David
It's possible that the rewind shaft from the ME also fits the MV. In any case, the ME and in particular the ME Super are more useful.
03-27-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A K1000, spotmatic or earlier is less easy to break?
04-16-2016, 03:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just an update - I bought that MV-1 winder, but it wasn't an exact replacement. I did fit it thought, and although it's raised @ 2mm, it's very solid and works very well
04-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The MEsuper top knob will swap with a K1000's from memory and both were metal.
Rubber glove and pliers to hold the cassette spool forks.