Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broke my FA31 lens hood - Grrrrrrrrr

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It wasn't until I began using the FA31 more and more on my film bodies that it *truly* became my most used and favorite lens.
Yesterday evening, while mounted to my MZ-S stuffed in a canvas satchel, it took a fall landing lens-front first. Seems one of the points where the hood is attached to the front element barrel was sheared off by the impact. The hood now wobbles hugely at the end of the lens. The lens itself seems to perform fine still, after quick checks at a couple different apertures and at close and infinity focus, though focus is impeded slightly when one side of the hood slides down and just touches the edge of the focus ring, creating a very slight bind. It will probably be ok (assuming whatever popped or sheared of isn't lodged elsewhere in the assembly - nothing is rattling around that I can hear) but the large amount of play and wobble now is GIGANTICALLY irritating. Just a bummer. Needed to vent.

03-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

go to BH get a rubber collapsable lens hood, it will work just as well, protect better and you won't have to take it off when you don't need it or need to store it.

Last edited by MikeD; 03-28-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: miss spelling
03-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EBay. Pretty penny, but hey.

FA 31 black hood NIB.
03-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try Eric he may be able to fix it.

Phil.

03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was thinking about Eric. I don't even know how to get it *off* were I to switch to a removable - any know? I've never tried. Judging from the diagram another PF member sent, it's essentially part of the entire assembly (not that I'm a whiz at schematics).