Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Beautiful! My case disinigrated over the years (dust to dust kind of disinigration of the outer black coating as I remember) to the point where I discarded it.
You just need to look in dollar bins for a replacement, apparently....

I'm a bit worried now, my K-7's strap disintegrated as did the case for my AF360 flash... these are unsolved mysteries and I definitely don't want that happening to this.

04-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Beautiful camera. I have a KX I nursed back to life but the prism has degraded silver. Get it checked out ASAP as the sticky tape they used on the bottom of the prism will degrade the silver. I spoke with Eric about it and he said unless you get lucky this is a common problem. Just an FYI. Gonna make a separate post about it.
04-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Results of my test roll are back.
Out of 24 shots, I got 20 photos back and two of those were half black, like the BMX shot below, which was at 1/1000th. Seems OK at low speeds. The negatives show 3 'clear' frames (ie no light), these are at random.

I think it needs a bit of a lube and adjustment!
The ones that worked out were pretty nice... so not a total failure!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Frontier SP-3000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Frontier SP-3000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Frontier SP-3000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Frontier SP-3000  Photo 
04-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I worked out "user error" was causing the blank shots, so it will just need an adjustment for the shutter speed.

04-19-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I worked out "user error" was causing the blank shots, so it will just need an adjustment for the shutter speed.
That is a pretty camera, a beaut of a lens and your case looks pristine.

Late 'S' body and the K body Pentaxes can suffer from a dragging 2nd curtain at 1/1000, which might cause your uneven exposure. I just bought an ESII (Silver) knowing it has this fault. I plan to get a CLA immediately - you might consider having your KX evaluated for this.

Did I mention KX is my favorite film camera?
04-19-2016, 06:44 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks!
Yes, using the camera, it does seem 'just right' in every way.
It's a bit of an art to quickly guess the shutter speed, aperture and focus and rough them in as you pick up the camera, then frame and focus, then correct the aperture. It's quite a process and makes you think!

Quite a difference to go back to film!

Something I notice is that the instant gratification of shooting with digital affects somehow makes me feel like I'm less 'present' (or there) when shooting. There's no little screen to review / get in the way of the moment. Having to wait a few days or a couple of weeks to see if the shot worked out is a very different feeling. Makes you think our minds were maybe more relaxed a few years ago...
04-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
It's quite a process and makes you think!

Quite a difference to go back to film!
Exactly!

Chris