Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did Eric replace any other electronic parts in the camera? If not, then perhaps the fact that the problem has become less severe points to another cause?

04-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spoke to Eric a week ago and he asked me to send it back. Circuit board suspect but we'll see.
Recently, while trying to finish the roll that is in it, it did the "hang" whilst on a manual setting of 1/30 sec...
So it's no longer isolated to just the auto shutter setting.
It's so incredibly intermittent it's difficult to gather any information.
04-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix.
Fortunately Eric has serviced many of these.

Pack a note with the returned camera body.
Be very specific when describing the problem.

Chris
05-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well................ (sigh) update:

I return to report (sheepishly) Eric's "fix". He replaced the batteries.

Now, I am SURE that I did this as well as I've (literally) just under about 100 cells in blister packs tucked in my utility cabinet, so I am not shy about throwing new batts in cams that I suspect might be getting low just so I don't get stranded that one time I inevitably don't have a spare with me while out and about. I replaced it months ago whilst trying my hand at diagnosing the problem. It certainly wasn't "dead" - meter always worked. However, since running a roll through it this past week the shutter hang does indeed seem to be solved.

I wonder if I just had a bad cell in the batch. Honestly I can't remember ever having that happen before. Anyone here have a "dud" LR44??

I wonder if the metering lever got nudged in the first return shipping or some other bump/jostle turned it on via shutter button.
Oh well. Still keeping my mistrustful eye on it. Happy to have it back and behaving so far.

05-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I return to report (sheepishly) Eric's "fix". He replaced the batteries.
Better then the alternative!
05-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I wonder if I just had a bad cell in the batch. Honestly I can't remember ever having that happen before. Anyone here have a "dud" LR44??
Not actually a dud but I have had issues with the cheaper alkaline LR44 batteries. The alkaline ones die quickly and may fool you into thinking it's the camera, as everything was fine the last time you used your camera. I only use the silver oxide ones and chuck the alkaline if I get them with a camera purchase.

I did however have a similar issue with my 67 and some older Kodak 4SR44 6V silver oxide batteries I had as spares. I was out shooting and the camera would not fire on the first shot. Swapped the battery with a "new" 6v spare and still no luck. Gave up and went back home and tried the working battery in my 6x7 on the 67 and all was well. The supposed "new" Kodak battery was also dead, best not to keep spare batteries too long as they also go dead eventually with no use!

Phil.
05-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Not actually a dud but I have had issues with the cheaper alkaline LR44 batteries. The alkaline ones die quickly and may fool you into thinking it's the camera, as everything was fine the last time you used your camera. I only use the silver oxide ones and chuck the alkaline if I get them with a camera purchase.

I did however have a similar issue with my 67 and some older Kodak 4SR44 6V silver oxide batteries I had as spares. I was out shooting and the camera would not fire on the first shot. Swapped the battery with a "new" 6v spare and still no luck. Gave up and went back home and tried the working battery in my 6x7 on the 67 and all was well. The supposed "new" Kodak battery was also dead, best not to keep spare batteries too long as they also go dead eventually with no use!

Phil.
I keep my batteries in the fridge to slow chemical degradation.

05-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well.... UPDATE again. Turns out it's still doing it. Just picked up the camera to throw in a new roll. It'd been sitting for a day and a half roughly. Shutter was set to 1/30. Fired a shot and stuck. As per usual it doesn't finish until I turn the shutter speed dial. Pretty bummed at this point.
Didn't get any communication from Eric (which is fairly usual, actually) other than the short note on the receipt stating what he'd done, e.g. changed the battery.
05-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel your frustration. In the end, it is the fully manual cameras that will be left standing, while circuit boards become difficult if not impossible to replace.
05-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I feel your frustration. In the end, it is the fully manual cameras that will be left standing, while circuit boards become difficult if not impossible to replace.
That's why - in addition to a sublime late LX and nice K2's - I have several MX'es and KX'es.
05-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's why - in addition to a sublime late LX and nice K2's - I have several MX'es and KX'es.
Indeed. Two MX and I gave my father my KX. And the 67 sans chain.. (among... well many others - but those are the ones I love). The 67 a fully manual meterless camera now.
06-01-2016, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I worked in camera repair once fixed every camera sat overnight and was checked thoroughly the next morning.
You'd be surprised how often the original problem reoccurred.

Send it back to Eric again.
Include a letter explaining the problem, and ask him to keep it long enough to duplicate the problem.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix.

Chris
06-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it will be going back, hopefully by next week. I'm going to finish the current roll. It happens so rarely is what is most frustrating. I know nothing of that board but wonder if he can hit it with some deoxit or the like. I've determined it only happens at slow, battery controlled shutter speeds below the flashsync setting. 1/30 is where I notice it but probably only because that's the slowest speed I handhold regularly. I noticed it initially with Auto speeds, but that was usually at night, e.g. a slower speed. And, it's still (except for that one time it happened twice in a row) it's only when the camera has sat for about a day or longer. Hope it can be sorted. I'm loosing roughly 5 frames a roll to this issue. :-/
06-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just about finished the currnet roll up but wanted to share! I've come up with a (what should have been obvious) method of not wasting frames to this irritating problem:

Yesterday and today it exhibited, as usual, this problem on the first shot taken of the day, but I got around it by simply setting shutter speed at 1/30, leaving the lens cap on, depressing the film-rewind/double-exposure button, cocking and firing off the frame (which shutter hung), changing the speed to close the shutter and then wound on again and resumed as normal.

Easy. (Well... kind of a PITA, but a definite workaround if this continues to be an issue, at least until it worsens - fingers crossed that will be a long time).